96-98 cobra engine swap

m8trix00

Established Member
I know this question has probably been asked before but since the search feature is not working.... here goes.

Is there any good information on swapping a 4.6 GT engine to a 4.6 cobra. wireharness , computer changes etc. Possibly a 351 swap? Just looking for some advice.

After the loss of my beautiful :bowdown: 97 cobra, I purchased a 97 GT, I really miss the power. It seems the head swap and all the mods, would cost the same if not more. I have my suspension, and some mods.

I love my mustang, I just want more power.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :beer:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I think FMS sells 01' cobra motor swaps. I would do that before switching to a 96-98 motor. Probably won't cost much more and you'll make a lot more power.

87fcoupe

Mustang Madness
Established Member
Or you could go with a nice DSS long block 331 or 347 and go carb with a 150 wet shot of N20. If you go this route you don't need computer and a nice dss long block 331 with afr heads and right cam, carb, and headers and exhaust will make more power than and 01 motor + alot more power 01 motor rated 320 horses and 317 torque at flywheel.This setup a friend of mine bought and he made 408 horsepower and 412 of torque at the rear wheels and that was on all motor plus its cheaper this way than 01 motor will cost new with everything else, but its your choice so good luck!!

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Originally posted by 87fcoupe
Or you could go with a nice DSS long block 331 or 347 and go carb with a 150 wet shot of N20. If you go this route you don't need computer and a nice dss long block 331 with afr heads and right cam, carb, and headers and exhaust will make more power than and 01 motor + alot more power 01 motor rated 320 horses and 317 torque at flywheel.This setup a friend of mine bought and he made 408 horsepower and 412 of torque at the rear wheels and that was on all motor plus its cheaper this way than 01 motor will cost new with everything else, but its your choice so good luck!!

But 32valve conversions are neat, and rare compared to older 302/306/331/347 conversions. I agree with the fact that you'll make a lot more power. He'll, I'm about to make more with my 302 then an 01' cobra. And that's with a pretty mild setup IMO.

m8trix00

Established Member
thanks

Hey, I appreciate all the replies. I will look into all the options. The 4.6 in my 97 GT just doesnt put out the torque I got used to with a few mods on my cobra. My younger brother has been giving me a hard time :) Its time for an engine swap, building a sleeper will be fun.
thanks , and you guys keep up the awesome forum.

HTownSVT2004

Established Member
ive always thought of doin the 01 cobra swap, does anyone have a link to teh kit that ford sells that poopnut2 was talkin about???

87fcoupe

Mustang Madness
Established Member
Money no issue go with 32 valve 4.6(cost more to do)I had a friend do it and it cost more.Parts are more for these cars plus being cobra engine etc.But i stated for what i told u for horsepower and torque will cost you alot less than doing 4.6 32 valve.I GUARANTEE IT.

m8trix00

Established Member
head swap

I see SHM and Steeda have heads and intake kit claiming around 40HP for the heads for 2V 4.6

anyone done this?

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Re: head swap

Originally posted by m8trix00
I see SHM and Steeda have heads and intake kit claiming around 40HP for the heads for 2V 4.6

anyone done this?

That would be a PI head swap...These are standard 2V heeads on 99 and up model GT's....:beer:

m8trix00

Established Member
thanks, now I have to find out what intake people are mounting on top of the heads

:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread