96-98 Cobra/KB owners

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
Just got my KB last night. When I was looking through the instructions I saw where you had to make a small cut in the hood liner as well as cutting some of the metal hood support bracket. I do not mind cutting the liner, but I don't like the idea of cutting the metal. I was wanting to keep this low mileage 98 Cobra (21,689) all oriqinal in case they were of value many years from now. Have any of you found a way to avoid cutting the metal? I realize I could just get another hood...but would like to keep this one if at all possible. Thanks!!!!

98KBcobra

SVT Poster
Established Member
I had to remove some of the liner and a section of fiberglass so that the throttle body would not rub, didn't have to remove any metal.

If you really want to return it to stock one day, get an aftermarket cobra R hood.

COBRASVT

Established Member
It's not going to work w/out cutting and you don't want to do that...........so sell me the KB :D

SVTclutch

Established Member
Yeah ill take it off your hands hahahaha hoe much did you pay for it ..... Like they said get an aftermarket hood.

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
I didn't need to cut any metal hood support. You would need to cut the hood liner and the under-part of the hood to clear the throttle and cruise control cable. I used a dremel for the cut. Just use the template that comes with the kit. Take your time with the cut. Or just get a Cobra R hood. Did you get the 6lb kit?

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
cobra4v said:
I didn't need to cut any metal hood support. You would need to cut the hood liner and the under-part of the hood to clear the throttle and cruise control cable. I used a dremel for the cut. Just use the template that comes with the kit. Take your time with the cut. Or just get a Cobra R hood. Did you get the 6lb kit?

Yes, I got the 6lb polished kit. I have some pics of it on the www.modularfords.com site. Click FORUM, then scroll to the Kenne Bell Tech section. The post is titled No scratches on KB delivery.

BTW, are hoods on the 98 Cobra fiberglass or metal? I'm at work, the Cobra is at home. I never gave it a thought until right now.

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
STKClutch said:
Yeah ill take it off your hands hahahaha hoe much did you pay for it ..... Like they said get an aftermarket hood.

With shipping it was around $4, 200. I got the polished version. I have some pics of it on the www.modularfords.com site. Click FORUM, then scroll to the Kenne Bell Tech section. The post is titled No scratches on KB delivery.

cobra mike

rice killing king!
Established Member
98KBcobra said:
I had to remove some of the liner and a section of fiberglass so that the throttle body would not rub, didn't have to remove any metal.

If you really want to return it to stock one day, get an aftermarket cobra R hood.
nope you have to cut that too.lol., its the very back part you have to cut and the cobra R has it too. i had to cut mine.
and the metal he is talking about in the first post is the throttle cable holder you have to trim the corner off of it.

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
cobra mike said:
nope you have to cut that too.lol., its the very back part you have to cut and the cobra R has it too. i had to cut mine.
and the metal he is talking about in the first post is the throttle cable holder you have to trim the corner off of it.

Actually KB has changed the casting and trimming the cable holder is no longer necessary. I had presumed the hood was metal, but have since become a little more knowledgeable. It is the back part of the hood that has to be notched..called Kb...no way out of it. As I drove to work this morning I started to wonder of the hood had any numbers stamped into it that are also found on other parts of the car. If not, it will not bother me to notch it. If this car actually comes of value many years from now, I could always restore a 96-98 Cobra hood if I wanted to sell it. If there are numbers that match then I will beat the bushes for a used 98 Cobra hood.

svt fetish

SVT FREAK
Established Member
Yell98CobraVert said:
With shipping it was around $4, 200. I got the polished version. I have some pics of it on the www.modularfords.com site. Click FORUM, then scroll to the Kenne Bell Tech section. The post is titled No scratches on KB delivery.
How much does installation cost? I'm considering this mod and trying to gather info, also are you installing on internally stock motor? If your installing yourself please disregard first question. Thanks in advance :beer:

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
svt fetish said:
How much does installation cost? I'm considering this mod and trying to gather info, also are you installing on internally stock motor? If your installing yourself please disregard first question. Thanks in advance :beer:

I think the cost of having a speed shop do it is anywhere from $700-$1000. After I studied all of the instructions I felt I could do the install myself; I started last night. Since it is not my daily driver, I am going to take my time. Did you see the pics of the blower...I think it looks great...can't wait to see it perched on top of my engine!

I saw where you have the Bassani system. I just installed the Bassini cat-back last week, took the baffles out...really like the throaty sound. I am thinking about adding the catted x as well. Did you get the entire system at once, or did you just start with the catback? I am just curious on what the difference would be between the stock cats/h and the bassiani/x.

cobra mike

rice killing king!
Established Member
Yell98CobraVert said:
Actually KB has changed the casting and trimming the cable holder is no longer necessary. I had presumed the hood was metal, but have since become a little more knowledgeable. It is the back part of the hood that has to be notched..called Kb...no way out of it. As I drove to work this morning I started to wonder of the hood had any numbers stamped into it that are also found on other parts of the car. If not, it will not bother me to notch it. If this car actually comes of value many years from now, I could always restore a 96-98 Cobra hood if I wanted to sell it. If there are numbers that match then I will beat the bushes for a used 98 Cobra hood.
you could keep the cut out peice and have it fiberglassed back in if you wanted.

cobra mike

rice killing king!
Established Member
Yell98CobraVert said:
I think the cost of having a speed shop do it is anywhere from $700-$1000. After I studied all of the instructions I felt I could do the install myself; I started last night. Since it is not my daily driver, I am going to take my time. Did you see the pics of the blower...I think it looks great...can't wait to see it perched on top of my engine!

I saw where you have the Bassani system. I just installed the Bassini cat-back last week, took the baffles out...really like the throaty sound. I am thinking about adding the catted x as well. Did you get the entire system at once, or did you just start with the catback? I am just curious on what the difference would be between the stock cats/h and the bassiani/x.
good call if you need any tips i put mine on ill help you if i can, pm me if you get to a point you need help, but you should be able to do it fine, all by yourself.

svt fetish

SVT FREAK
Established Member
Yell98CobraVert said:

I did the whole thing at once but a friend of mine has just the catback and it doesn't sound quite the same. The X with the cats sounds good and raspy if your going to get one get the new all steel cats I put them on my buddies 03 and they sound great. My car is my daily driver of sorts I can't be without it that long I'm also a little leary of doing it myself I looked at some of the other threads on the other site where your pictures are and it looks like some guys had a lot of wiring problems but thanks for info and good luck. :beer:

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
. My car is my daily driver of sorts I can't be without it that long I'm also a little leary of doing it myself I looked at some of the other threads on the other site where your pictures are and it looks like some guys had a lot of wiring problems but thanks for info and good luck. :beer:[/QUOTE]

Probably a good decision if you need it as a daily driver. I am just taking my time and enjoying the project. I have just a couple of steps left on the disassemby. Will start the blower assembly this evening. :D

Users who are viewing this thread