96-98 Snakes come in!

97RRCOBRA

Established Member
Hey all, I was just wondering what everyone here runs in the 1/4, it would be great if you can post your mods and a pic of your engine too, Thanks in advance!

Oh here's mine : Best 1/4 12.97 @ 107.5 on street tires

96vert

Established Member
That's really quick for your mods, congrats! I'm still waiting for 12's. (I know, I suck at trying for traction). I almost never go to the track, and my old 285/40 Firestone Firehawks just can't cut it at the local track (National Trails in Columbus, OH). I plan to get a set of Nitto DR's for my rear tires soon, and at that point I'll get out to the track again, and make a 12 sec pass pretty easily I'd assume.

So far though, my best is 13.1 @ 114 w/ 2.5 60 ft :shrug:

major mods are here:
Vortech @ 9psi,
offroad H pipe,
flowmaster 3-chamber mufflers (whether these add or subtract power I'm not sure, but I LOVE the sound :-D )

I pulled 424.8 HP and 376 FT-LBS of torque at my latest dyno-tune.

Last edited:

97RRCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by 96vert
That's really quick for your mods, congrats! I'm still waiting for 12's. (I know, I suck at trying for traction). I almost never go to the track, and my old 285/40 Firestone Firehawks just can't cut it at the local track (National Trails in Columbus, OH). I plan to get a set of Nitto DR's for my rear tires soon, and at that point I'll get out to the track again, and make a 12 sec pass pretty easily I'd assume.

So far though, my best is 13.1 @ 114 w/ 2.5 60 ft :shrug:

major mods are here:
Vortech @ 9psi,
offroad H pipe,
flowmaster 3-chamber mufflers (whether these add or subtract power I'm not sure, but I LOVE the sound :-D )

I pulled 424.8 HP and 376 FT-LBS of torque at my latest dyno-tune.

Very nice!, are those times with the supercharger ???

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
I might be wrong..(usually am)...but a 9# Vortech on a 96-98 Cobra should be freakin runnin' mid 12's....no?

Not tryin' to flame but that confuses me brain...

97RRCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by 98 Yeller' SVT
I might be wrong..(usually am)...but a 9# Vortech on a 96-98 Cobra should be freakin runnin' mid 12's....no?

Not tryin' to flame but that confuses me brain...

I think he isnt running 12's bec he has a loss of traction and he weighs more than the coupes.

96vert

Established Member
Yep, traction is my main problem. That best run that I did was actually with another 200+ lb guy in the passenger's seat (I'm about 200# myself). That was the only run that I didn't have the rear end kick out on me on the 1-2 shift.

my normal drag run: I warm the tires (about a 2-3 sec. burnout to clear debris), then stage. At the bottom yellow, I slowly let out the clutch and rev the engine to about 2k rpm. Once the clutch is released, and I'm not spinning out... I hit the gas... (and basically light up the rear wheels - sometimes even starting to go sideways). I then feather the gas, get some more traction, and try for the rest of 1st gear (I'm usually around 4.5k rpm once I regain traction). At 6500, I shift to 2nd - and if I get back on the gas full throttle, the tires light up AGAIN. On the "best" run, described above, I was able to shift hard into second, and just basically get a good chirp out of the tires, not really light them up. I attribute this to the extra passenger weight.

...At the 2-3 shift, I usually get a good chirp, and then shift to 4th and finish...

I've actually done runs where I started in first, lit them up all the way through first, then shifted to 2nd, and lit them up all the way through second... I then put it in 4th and coasted home LOL.

so, what can I do? (besides get better tires haha). I plan to get Nitto DR's mid-spring this year.

sibs4972

Established Member
I don't mean this in a flammatory manner, but when your car is supercharged you really can't get on it in the first two gears. My 98 is sc'd with 3.73's and even with my 5-link rear (which gives awesome traction) I still can't full throttle it until third. It's about 1/2 to 2/3 gas in first, about 3/4 in 2nd, and then balls to the wall by the top of third. This works for me at least. Just my 2 cents, I'm guessing you've already realized this. :shrug:

Colt .45

Established Member
Ok aftre reading 97RRCobras times Ive come to the conclusion that my car sucks donkey balls. :(

13.1@107 with a 2.0 on street tires.
Mods 4.30s, offroad h with dumped flows, WMS Racing CAIOn the gas I ran a 12.7@113 with a 2.0 on street tires a looong time ago ;)

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
I ran a 12.8@115 coming off of idle and no powershifting with these mods: stock gears(3.27), gutted stock MAS, MSD plug wires, Vortech V2 SQ boosting at 6 psi, Bassani catalytic X pipe and 2 chamber flows. This was on BFG KDs with the stock air pressure in them. I'm not going to go into what you guys should run but looks like some practice needs to be done.

97RRCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by Colt .45
Ok aftre reading 97RRCobras times Ive come to the conclusion that my car sucks donkey balls. :(

13.1@107 with a 2.0 on street tires.
Mods 4.30s, offroad h with dumped flows, WMS Racing CAIOn the gas I ran a 12.7@113 with a 2.0 on street tires a looong time ago ;)

No I dont think so, I am just always messing around with my car and I drive it A LOT so I know how to launch with minimal spin, I also had 295 KDW's on the car when I got that time, they were my friends rims and tires, I just borrowed then to see how much better I could do with 295's in stead of 255's, I neted about .1 seconds which was enough to bring me to the 12's, also it was a cold and humid free night ( Hard to find in Florida ) and id have to say all the planets were aligned that night! LOL. I consistently hit the 13.1 Mark with my 255's though. :thumbsup:

sibs4972

Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah
I ran a 12.8@115 coming off of idle and no powershifting with these mods: stock gears(3.27), gutted stock MAS, MSD plug wires, Vortech V2 SQ boosting at 6 psi, Bassani catalytic X pipe and 2 chamber flows. This was on BFG KDs with the stock air pressure in them. I'm not going to go into what you guys should run but looks like some practice needs to be done.

Booyah, what were your hp and tq #'s?

MidLifeCrisis

Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah

Hey Booyah! Nice Cobra. I was curious as to why you took your strut tower brace off?

I'd also like to know from some of you if having a rear swaybar would make a difference in drag race launching traction? When I got my 96 Cobra, the rear swaybar was missing. Just the attaching boss ends were still there bolted to the lower control arms. I've ran a 13.8 with 97K on the car and with all the mods except the N02 and the Pro 5.0.

The last time I ran it, my 60' times were terrible. I have Dayton Daytona's on the car. Can't get a good launch. I believe that with my two untested mods, the car should run maybe high 12's with a 100hp shot?

The car doesn't handle noticeable bad without the swaybar but I've never driven it with it!! I was told that was one way to tell if the car had been drag raced. It the rear swaybar was missing.

Comments....

sibs4972

Established Member
98 Cobras didn't have STB's. They moved the firewall back about an inch also. I found this out the hard way when I tried to use my 96 STB on my 98.

White98SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by sibs4972
98 Cobras didn't have STB's. They moved the firewall back about an inch also. I found this out the hard way when I tried to use my 96 STB on my 98.

I just thought it was Ford getting cheap in 98......I just bought one from Steeda to go with my G-trac suspension:thumbsup:

As far as posting mods and times....I think I'm going to refrain. There's too many non N/A Cobras in here for me to post my lousy times.

MidLifeCrisis

Established Member
Originally posted by 97RRCOBRA
Nice I just learned something!

Me too!

Hey 97 RRCobra. I've heard Bradenton is a nice track? Well kept and well prepped. I'm about 80mi NE of you. You should come up here and run at Orlando Speedworld sometime. A friend of mine with a 96 vert Cobra ran down there and picked up more than a half second between what he runs here, (OSW) and what he ran there. I guess track prep has a lot to do with it.

sibs4972

Established Member
Originally posted by White98SVT
I just thought it was Ford getting cheap in 98......I just bought one from Steeda to go with my G-trac suspension:thumbsup:

As far as posting mods and times....I think I'm going to refrain. There's too many non N/A Cobras in here for me to post my lousy times.

I went with the Steeda STB also, it's a quality piece. :thumbsup:
You should post your times and mods anyway. :D

Users who are viewing this thread