96 Cobra cooling system issues!

MidLifeCrisis

Established Member
My 96 Cobra temperature gage reaches the L on the normal band when I'm running the AC with the outside temperature 80°F and up. I live in Florida. Turn the AC off, coolant temp returns to the middle of the scale. The car does fine with the AC off. The car should not be running that hot! Not much space between the L and the head gasket melt-down/permanent engine damage zone.

I know there was a Ford service bulletin for the 96 Cobra's to replace or modify the cooling system but do any of you know if that was a recall or Ford only fixed it if the car was still under warranty? I have heard that Ford wants somewhere around $1400 just for the SB kit. Another knowledgeable Cobra person told me that a $400 4-core replacement Steeda radiator would correct this problem. I also heard that the 97 and up Cobra's came with the SB kit incorporated.

If I were to go the local auto parts store and order a 98 Cobra radiator, would it fit and would it correct the problem? Because that would probably be cheaper than the Steeda and a hell of a lot cheaper than Ford.

You're valued input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

scothew_gt

Established Member
I dont know about the recall and stuff like that, But when I bought my '96, the previous owner apperently put a huge Fluidyne radiator on it. Mid-80's here in Bama and in stop and go traffic it runs up to about middle of the scale and it seems to run cooler if I am running the AC. Maybe I am just seeing things. Cruising down the freeway 70-80mph, the temp gauge sits usually between the N and the O.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
<------------Went with a fluidyne

The Fluidyne can be had for around 380, it MUST be for a 96 model year only otherwise you have to buy a new condensor for the AC. It would probably be easier to replace it with an aftermarket radiator and put a 180* t-stat in there. Not hard to do yourself either. If you get a 98 rad from a 98 Cobra you will also need to get the condensor. Just an FYI

A

MidLifeCrisis

Established Member
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra
<------------Went with a fluidyne

The Fluidyne can be had for around 380, it MUST be for a 96 model year only otherwise you have to buy a new condensor for the AC. It would probably be easier to replace it with an aftermarket radiator and put a 180* t-stat in there. Not hard to do yourself either. If you get a 98 rad from a 98 Cobra you will also need to get the condensor. Just an FYI

A

I thought all Cobra's came with a 180° thermostat? Thanks for the input.

MidLifeCrisis

Established Member
Thanks to those who responded. I got the information today about Ford TSB 96-25-12. Seems my car never had the TSB complied with and the Ford dealers want $1800 just for the kit!

Parts included: Larger radiator, larger cooling fan assembly, and a revised AC condenser, and all necessary hardware.

Going junkyard shopping this weekend. See if I can find a salvage 97 Mustang Cobra or GT or newer. The post 96 models should have the modification incorporated.

I hate to say it, but I feel that I got screwed by Ford again. This should have been a recall! I've got a 96 Cobra that I can't run the AC when it’s hot for fear of overheating, and I have a 96 Taurus SHO that needs the cam gears welded so they won't come loose and trash the engine!

Sorry for the rant.

USMCracing

Established Member
Dude I have a 96 Cobra and it ran on the HOT side like yours, close to the L in NORMAL. Don't waste your time with FORD for a fix it this. I ordered a Fluidyne Rad from All Mustang in Phoenix Az for $350. I live in Yuma Az the Avg. temp is over 110 in the summer and my Cobra runs cool. The hottest I've had it get since the Fluidyne was in the Middle of NORMAL. All I did was add the Fluidyne. Go with the Fluidyne it looks good and fits greats. It only took my a hour to install it.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
here is a pic of the difference between the Fluidyne and the stocker. Sorry it is so big but the difference speake for itself HINT: the Fluidyne radiator says "Fluidyne" on it ;-)

A

Last edited:

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra
here is a pic of the difference between the Fluidyne and the stocker. Sorry it is so big but the difference speake for itself HINT: the Fluidyne radiator says "Fluidyne" on it ;-)

A

Do you a supercharger on your car. The Fluidyne seems like a logical choice but I don't think that I have enough room with the supercharger onboard.

96vert

Established Member
My fix was to wire up a "high speed fan switch" from THIS PAGE . I too have a '96 cobra that didn't have the TSB done. It is supercharged, and saw the A and L on a regular basis when it was hot. I wired up the switch, and when I flip it, it takes the TEMP gauge down to O or R within a few minutes. Basically, it was a very cheap fix that works wonderfully. I can spend my $400 toward long tubes now :)

96CynRnr

Established Member
I just have to weigh in on this... I just blew 14 intake valves by jumping both timing chains, and in the process of pulling the motor etc, I too decided to spend the cash and replace the radiator with the Fluidyne. It's a stock fit while the Griffin requires some "delicate"? hammer work to get it to fit. I did drop a Fluidyne in the 02 Lightning and noticed about a 25 degree drop in temp at idle. The drop in temp while moving was scary ... for a while I would swear that the gauge was busted, it just never moved. I would really recommend the Fluidyne product and installation is a snap from what I hear.

out99sider

Established Member
alright quick question here. i too have a 96' cobra without the coolant system upgrade and was wondering what was needed to purchuse in order to do this on your own and not through ford. should just the radiator be swapped or anything else. also, steeda or fluidnye?

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
96vert ... think that cooling fan switch mod will work on a '95 Cobra? Jumping to the '96 wiring may be different - I'm not much of a spark chaser.

Dan

Last edited:

96vert

Established Member
Good question - I'm sure it would work if you patched into the correct wire - but i"m also sure that the correct wire will be a different color than it was in my car. So, if you can find a wiring diagram, and are able to figure out which wire you need to patch into and ground, then this would work for you. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread