96 Cobra (Coyote Swap) vs 2012 5.0 GT H/C/I built motor.

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
So my buddy and I decide to have a nice labor day cruise and well it was awesome. Drove out to tropical Mexico and let it rip. First the mods............the 96 cobra is mine and the mods are 5.0 coyote swap, JLT CAI, BBK long tubes, BBK 3 inch X pipe into full mandral bent 3 inch all the way out, all with an AED tune. Other mods include T-56, aluminum drive shaft, aluminum flywheel, and 4.30 gears. My car weights in at 3215 without me, with a full tank. The 2012 has a built 11.1 MMR block with stage 2 ported heads, comp stage 3 cams (intalled straight up), Cobra jet intake (u, Cobra jet mono blade, ford racing cai, bbk longlubes into a full 3 inch exhaust with a Jund Lund Tune. Car is a brembo car with 3.73 and a 6 speed. Car is full weight.
Now the purpose of the day was to do a few runs before and and after my cleaned up/slightly ported stock intake (with heat blanket)++its hot in mexico. So we cruised out to do the first couple of runs. Keep in mind his car is on a 20 inch RTR rim with some street continetals and mine is on a 17 inch cobra Rs with nitto 555R drag radials. So the first race was a 25 roll ( in first for me), i yanked out while he spun however he kept up pretty good about a car behind then i missed 4th and the race ended. Second race was a clean one from a 40 roll in second for me. We stayed DEAD even all the way up till the last 1000 rpms of 4th for me around 118-124. He pulled a fender on me. So we headed back to EL Casa to swap the intakes. Intake swap took about an hour or so and we were headed back out. Car seemed alot smoother after the swap (no tune changes as per Shaun at AED instructions). We did the same 25 roll and it was closer this time however he missed 3rd and i yanked out and that was the end of that race. Then we did the 40 roll in second again and it was even closer this time at the top of 4th couldn't have been any more then a half fender!!!!!!!!! We also got the oppertunity to do a dig race at the very end where we caught a red light with us line up next to each other. I launch off idle and ease into the throttle with a little spin in first and second. I yanked out a bit as he spun and then he reeled me in and we stayed even up to 100mph and we let out of it to make the on ramp back onto the highway. All and All extremely close. Good racing, always a good experience racing friends. So where do we go from here well he has a D1SC sitting in the garage as we speak and for me well.............looks like I am going to need some serious upgrading to keep up maybe some cams and cobra jet or nitrous. Hope you Enjoyed. Thoughts comments????

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
Thanks man.

Whipple may not fit under the hood with out modifcation and the current power by the hour accessory braket kit does not allow for a supercharger belt or pulleys. However they just released a revised one. I also borrow my procharger braket kit from the the same guy and the lower braket spacer hits the power steering pulley so that a no go. Car is pretty maxed out. I have a knocking noise in my T-56 that is causing some false knock that is preventing Shaun from maxing the current tune out however the car still hits 21-23 degrees of timing at WOT. So maybe another 10-15 hp still left in the combination at the most with out changing intake manifolds. Cars weight is pretty much as light as its going to get with out taking the creature conforts out of the car and removing suspesion compents. Its a daily driver so I will not be pulling out saftey items, sway bars, adding race seats. Also i define a street car as one that has either 87-93 octane or E85. Anything else is running a fuel that is meant for the race track. So my options are limited.

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
Good runs, next time post some engine bay shots of both your rides!
Will do, should be able to take some video next time couldn't find the gopro in time. I think I am going to shot for doing a Cobra Jet intake first. Had one on this exact motor in my 94 cobra. Had to cut the hood though, going to try to fit it with some kmember spacers. Made 453 rwhp in the 94. And that was with a crapy exhaust, gt500 tb and a 2010 cold air. The supporting mods are much better for the intake now. Also nitrous, well i would love to do it but it is about a 100 dollars to refill a 10lb bottle where I live.

Users who are viewing this thread