96 Cobra losing water and steam out of the tail pipes

Nick1996

Established Member
Build the heads for the future...They are off so why no. Just one less thing. With that said

- Tooley Springs
- SS valves.. Id just stick with Standard
- ARP Cam Bolts.
- ARP Tower Studs ( Not needed but cheap to just buy. You gotta replace the stock ones antyways. Just spend the coin and you wont have to buy OE again when you get cams )
- New lifters ( piece of mind )

If you plan is just to get it up and running i would stick with the stock Primary/secondary gears. Just get new chains and guides. don't worry about adjustable till you get cams.

BTW all the ARP items are reusable where the stock isn't. Sets you up again when ready for bigger things. Money spent once. Best money spent.

Nick1996

Established Member
I was thinking about having the exhaust Port opened up and then basically just having them cleaned up we were going to put stud bolt on to thanks for the other advice the whole discussion on the C and B heads reminds me a lot of the trick flow dilemma some guys were making tons of Power with the small Port High Velocity heads and other people were making tons of Power with a big Port heads it just depends on your application I want to supercharge this engine I'm going go to rebuild the bottom end in in future

Wingless Cobra

Established Member
Keep in mind, 4.6's lack displacement naturally, so they need port velocity to scavenge,

Increasing exhaust port opening, will lessen velocity, harming performance. If you have good velocity on intake (ie force induction), then porting exhaust makes sense.

As far as b vs c head, c's flow better by tumble design and port dimensions. Catch is, b cams are better than c cams. So, put b cams, in c heads. (Intake cams only, exhaust is the same cam)

To do c heads, you'll need either c lower and upper intake, or, an adapter plate that will accept c lower intake mated to b upper intake. That is the best method to go (As opposed to c lower and c upper intake). C lower is required due to c head size.

Depending on which upper you go with, you'll need to reposition your crossover coolant tube , or get one off 99/01 cobra.

There are several threads listed above which give detail instructions, and total parts list. I very much want to do a c head swap, but this being my dd, makes it difficult.

nomoretickets

Established Member
I was thinking about having the exhaust Port opened up and then basically just having them cleaned up we were going to put stud bolt on to thanks for the other advice the whole discussion on the C and B heads reminds me a lot of the trick flow dilemma some guys were making tons of Power with the small Port High Velocity heads and other people were making tons of Power with a big Port heads it just depends on your application I want to supercharge this engine I'm going go to rebuild the bottom end in in future

Its actually nothing like that at all. C heads are better in every application, with the only exception being if you are John Mihovetz and are spinning your motor to 10,000 rpm with 60+ pounds of boost.

Nick1996

Established Member
Its actually nothing like that at all. C heads are better in every application, with the only exception being if you are John Mihovetz and are spinning your motor to 10,000 rpm with 60+ pounds of boost.
Okay so I am open to the idea of doing a c head swap I need a parts list link

Nick1996

Established Member
Everybody is really pushing the C heads on here how about a parts link what kind of work needs to be done to the C heads from some of the research I've done it looks like the power gains are minimal how much does it cost to do the swap and would I be better suited to just buy a supercharger and run the B heads

Wingless Cobra

Established Member
30rwhp is what I've heard, cost $1500-2000 depending on parts cost (varies by region and salvage yard), and how much work you do yourself vs shop.

Wingless Cobra

Established Member
That would be the most expensive 30 horsepower gain in the history of cars
But... that is at the wheels.

It is also a supporting mod. Meaning if you have bolt on' s, numbers could be exponentially more.

Problem with 4.6 4V (96-98), is there are not a lot of supporting heads and cams (N/A) to choose from.

Therefore c heads with b cams is best optiion

nomoretickets

Established Member
That would be the most expensive 30 horsepower gain in the history of cars

Not when 90% of those expenses are going to be incurred regardless of which heads he puts on.

If you have to pull your heads on a B head car, its really hard to justify not doing a C Head swap.

Nick1996

Established Member
Not when 90% of those expenses are going to be incurred regardless of which heads he puts on.

If you have to pull your heads on a B head car, its really hard to justify not doing a C Head swap.

I'm looking at this C head swap the B's have to come off so what do I need to do to put C's on the car

Nick1996

Established Member
putting some research into this C head swap and what I'm finding so far is I need about $1,000 worth of parts and like I said$1,000 for a 30 horsepower gain doesn't seem like a very good investment to me so let's spend some money on the B heads what should I put in these heads or do to these heads to improve what I already have

97snakebite

Established Member
putting some research into this C head swap and what I'm finding so far is I need about $1,000 worth of parts and like I said$1,000 for a 30 horsepower gain doesn't seem like a very good investment to me so let's spend some money on the B heads what should I put in these heads or do to these heads to improve what I already have
See my previous post. End thread

nomoretickets

Established Member
so let's spend some money on the B heads what should I put in these heads or do to these heads to improve what I already have

Absolutely nothing. You should do nothing with your B-heads. Have the machine shop get them straight, clean them up, replace the valve seals, and throw them back on because no money you put into them will yield any improvement.

End thread

Yep.

Users who are viewing this thread