96 Cobra -- Mods Questions

96CynRnr

Established Member
I have a 96 Cobra hence the name, that is in the process of getting the heads rebuilt. While the motor is out I am going to replace some parts on the stock motor. It will remain naturally aspirated and is not going to be a daily driver all the time. However for stretches it will be driven long and often, road trips and nice weather. I am going to be put a Densecharger intake on it, and replace the radiator with a Fluidyne I think.

Here are my questions:

1. Long tube headers vs. shorties... everyone seems to run the BBK is there a real reason? Ceramic vs. SS?

2. I want to change out the rest of the exhaust but I really don’t want the car to get a whole lot louder, I know the headers will change the pitch a bit but anyone run a fairly quite cat back or X/H pipe setup? Quiet in comparison to stock.

3. Recommendations for other mods to the naturally aspirated motors...

Thanks for all your advice...
/darin

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Long tubes will make your car louder, but will add much more torque over the shorties. I suggest long tubes. The BBK's are quality built and are a good price, hence why they are popular. Go with ceramic, it is a little more expensive, but hold up better. Not quite sure about which pipes to go with but try THIS SITE. That may help you find a quiet sound. What other mods do you have done already? I suggest gears and pulleys if you dont already have them.

Andrew

96CynRnr

Established Member
I haven't done any other mods yet. It was the one car that was stock. I am going to install the 3.73 rear end about the same time, I know the popular choice is 4.10's but this car spends alot of time in excess of 90 on canyon roads and the 4.10's would push the RPMS up to high IMHO. Not sure on the pulleys yet, so many people have problems with charging at idle and A/C trouble it seems like a poor trade off. /darin

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
With the Steeda pulleys, you wont have the idle problem, or so i have been told. Yes, if you are going to do a lot of canyon road driving at 90+ mph, then go with the 3.73's and BE CAREFUL! We dont want you flying off into a canyon. With that said, get some subframe connectors and some upper and lower control arms for better handling.

Andrew

96CynRnr

Established Member
Thanks I will look into the pullies, Griggs has already started to redo the suspension, I have the subframe connectors, new springs and shocks all new bushings etc. So I am pretty well glued to the pavement, flying off is against the rules per the wife. Considering she's an RN he word about unauthorized flights is law. Next was going to be the full GR40 suspension upgrade but 14 bent intake valves made that next years project. C'est la vie. /darin

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
While the heads are apart some good NA power is available with better cams. Sean Hyland, FRPP and quite a few others offer cams for the 4V now. The heads are off, so have you considered P&P work to them? There are also larger aftermarket replacement valves available. Not huge gains individually, but as a whole package they yeild god power gains. Particularly in the average power area.

96CynRnr

Established Member
Yes I am going to Port and Polish the heads while they are off. Not sure what that's going to be worth, but the range is from 15-50 RMHP depending on the aggressivness you do that I suppose. I am going to try and stick to the middle of the road hopeing to pick up another 20-25 RWHP with the heads rebuilt a little more aggressivly. /darin

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
If you are going to get the heads worked, go for a triple angle valve job and go for the port and polishing. This will give some good gains, along with a more aggressive cam like gr8white suggested.

blk96SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by 96CynRnr
I am going to install the 3.73 rear end about the same time, I know the popular choice is 4.10's but this car spends alot of time in excess of 90 on canyon roads and the 4.10's would push the RPMS up to high IMHO.

I heard that the difference between the 3.73's and 4.10's are like a 200 rpm difference at 75 mph. You should go with 4.10's, can't wait till I get mine in pretty soon here. Good luck with your car, sounds like it is going to be pretty sweet. Supercharger in the future?!?!?!?

Tim

96CynRnr

Established Member
The 4.10's put 3rd on the higher end of the high torque range making it hard to pull high speed sweepers without adding a shift. It sounds silly but on the 90+ sweepers on any of the longer racetrackes or canyons every 200 RPM makes a difference. Since I am not drag racing I have a harder sweet spot to maintain.

No blower in the future, love the idea of a 325-340 ish RWHP naturally aspirated 7 year old car. I mean come on... it's a Vette killer for 50% of the cost and that would include the full MSRP orginally PLUS the 5k to 7k I put in now. That's just too cool, ohh did I mention that no one would take me seriously until they have spent a while chasing my taillights? That appeals to me.

/darin

Peter

Established Member
For a 96 Cobra if you are going through the trouble
of head work you wat a five angle valve job, as for
rear gears Bondurant uses 4.10's on there road
race cobra's(96-98).

Peter
:thumbsup:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by 96CynRnr
The 4.10's put 3rd on the higher end of the high torque range making it hard to pull high speed sweepers without adding a shift. It sounds silly but on the 90+ sweepers on any of the longer racetrackes or canyons every 200 RPM makes a difference. Since I am not drag racing I have a harder sweet spot to maintain.

No blower in the future, love the idea of a 325-340 ish RWHP naturally aspirated 7 year old car. I mean come on... it's a Vette killer for 50% of the cost and that would include the full MSRP orginally PLUS the 5k to 7k I put in now. That's just too cool, ohh did I mention that no one would take me seriously until they have spent a while chasing my taillights? That appeals to me.

/darin

If you are going to be doing some road racing I would invest in some of SHM's billet oil gears. They are a little bit of insurance for your engine.

96CynRnr

Established Member
Ok not to sound to stupid, but what are the SHM billet oil gears? I am going to put a Fluidyne radiator in it, and I believe they have one setup to provide additional cooling to the tranny. Is this along that line but an oil cooler?
/darin

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
No, it's just the gears inside of the oil pump. It's common for them to malfunction from the factory under road racing conditions. Seah Hyland Motorsports makes a billet set that is supposed to solve this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread