96 cobra running rough at WOT in lower RPM range

Abneriel

Established Member
My car has been acting weird for the last couple of weeks. The idle is a touch rougher than it should be, but the biggest problem is when the car is under load from 1k RPM to 2.5k or so. It feels almost like a bad plug as it hesitates and sputters pretty badly. Once I reach 3k or so it smooths out and feels normal, but there's been some power loss (which may be partially attributed to the fact that we've had 100 degree temps lately). I thought it was a spark issue, but I replaced the plugs/wires (needed it anyway) and the problem is still there. I went through and unplugged the wires one by one from the CPs while the car was idling, but the results showed that all cylinders are firing (the car got a bit rougher when each wire was pulled). I pulled the MAF and cleaned it (the car has a K&N and there was a touch of crud on it), but the problem is still there. I noticed that the idle stays the same when I unplug the MAF, which has me thinking it may have possibly gone bad. My CEL came on a few months ago, but the car ran fine throughout (got a code stating that the car was running a touch lean in bank 1, but I haven't had a chance to investigate further). When you stand behind the car you can definitely tell there's a difference in the way the exhaust sounds. The lobes are more pronounced than usual.

Besides the MAF or the sparkplugs/wires, what would cause these symptoms? The car doesn't have any knocks or pings (thankfully) but the stuttering has got to go.

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
check your cold air intake make sure everything is tight...make sure you don't have any leaks anywhere around it...also could be your front o2 sensors...if you have a check engine code go to advance and get them to scan it they should be able to tell you what it is

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
I thought it was a spark issue, but I replaced the plugs/wires (needed it anyway) and the problem is still there. When you stand behind the car you can definitely tell there's a difference in the way the exhaust sounds. The lobes are more pronounced than usual.

Besides the MAF or the sparkplugs/wires, what would cause these symptoms? The car doesn't have any knocks or pings (thankfully) but the stuttering has got to go.

What did each of your old spark plugs look like as you replaced each of them? Were any of them dark around the ceramic and spark tip? If any of them were, the next step would be to check your injectors. If they are the factory injectors, you can unplug each of them and check for 14.8 to 15.4 ohms of resistance between the contacts on each injector. Anywhere outside of the range, you might think about replacing the injector.

Abneriel

Established Member
What did each of your old spark plugs look like as you replaced each of them? Were any of them dark around the ceramic and spark tip? If any of them were, the next step would be to check your injectors. If they are the factory injectors, you can unplug each of them and check for 14.8 to 15.4 ohms of resistance between the contacts on each injector. Anywhere outside of the range, you might think about replacing the injector.

the plugs all looked fine, but we replaced them anyway as they'd been on there since at least 2003, heh...

I still need to check the injectors...I just returned with three codes:

PO411 - IMRC related, I think...IMRCs are working fine, so I'm not sure what is going on there

PO401 - EGR system fault

PO308 - cylinder 8 misfire

so it's pretty obvious the cause is cylinder 8 deciding it doesn't want to play nice, now I have to figure out why

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
the plugs all looked fine, but we replaced them anyway as they'd been on there since at least 2003, heh...

I still need to check the injectors...I just returned with three codes:

PO411 - IMRC related, I think...IMRCs are working fine, so I'm not sure what is going on there

PO401 - EGR system fault

PO308 - cylinder 8 misfire

so it's pretty obvious the cause is cylinder 8 deciding it doesn't want to play nice, now I have to figure out why

Now I don't care who ya are, thats some funny stuff.......I just finished up a thread on here about the P0308 code, cylinder 8 misfire. It turned out that my #8 injector was bad.

Abneriel

Established Member
Now I don't care who ya are, thats some funny stuff.......I just finished up a thread on here about the P0308 code, cylinder 8 misfire. It turned out that my #8 injector was bad.

I'll swap it out with a different one and see if that takes care of the issue, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread