96 cobra runs rough

jroc04si

Established Member
my car idles really rough and shakes like its on 7 cylinders. i can rev it up and hold it at 2500 and it has a very noticeable miss. when i get on it, it doesnt feel like its running on all cylinders and it kinda starts to shake above 5k. so i have put in ngk tr6's, new fuel pump, new fpr, new intake manifold gasket set, cleaned iac, cleaned imrc's, and zip tied imrc's to stay open all the time. the only thing i havent done yet is new plug wires, coil packs, or clean the maf. could either one of those 3 be causing this? i plan on doing these this weekend but just incase i would like to get some other experienced input on the matter.

also, mods are 4.10s, upr o/r x pipe w/flowmasters, and cai

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Plug wires is a very likely culprit.
I would have done that before the other stuff unless you knew you had fuel issues.

ITLRUN96

Established Member
Check resistance in your plug wires, if they check out okay leave them alone. It definetly sounds like an ignition problem, if you have noticeable miss. If the coil packs are the original ones, that may be your problem the car is 13 years old. But I would say your problem lays somewhere in the ignition. You've already changed the plugs, check your plug wires next and check all connections. Sometimes, it's somthing very simple causing the problem. But if it doesn't lay in the ignition, hate to tell you this one. But could be a bad valve, but lets not go there yet stick with the wires and coil packs and it wouldn't hurt to clean your MAF sensor, Mike.

Last edited:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
TR6's... They are a heat range colder than stock... I dont know if that would effect it..

Pull your plugs and see what the look like...

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
clean and check your MAF sensor..I've run into a lot of problems in how my motor runs just because it was dirty/clogged or whatever..

jroc04si

Established Member
ok i got some msd wires from a local store, will change them today. gonna clean the maf and my friend has a extra set of coil packs.

jroc04si

Established Member
Plugs Are either tapped at 52 or 54 I can't remember. I did do one thing at a time. The wires helped by itself then cleaning the air filter and maf helped by itself. Still doesn't feel 100% but I never swapped the coil packs. I think the problem my be the maf cuz it cameoff another car and I don't know what it's calibrated for. It's a pro m and I don't know what size. A buddy of mine said he had a stock 01 cobra maf in his garage and said I could have it. Would that work on my car?

Users who are viewing this thread