96 Cobra Squeak/tick on acceleration

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
This squeak and ticking happens when the car is accelerating from a dead stop and rpm increases from 500-1300rpm and then the noise just stops.
The clutch is all the way out and it's basically accelerating from idle.
No noises at idle. It only occurs when the car is on the ground moving forward or in reverse----does not make the noise when the driveline is accelerating with the rear wheels off the ground (car supported by jack stands).
Sounds like it definitely comes from the drivers side of the engine.
Timing cover gaskets were just replaced and a visual check of the timing chains/guides/tensioners by Dez Racing showed nothing out of the ordinary.
The engine has 190,330 miles on it.

I've tried adjusting the clutch cable with the firewall adjuster to add more preload on the TOB but that doesn't make any difference. The TOB is maybe 20k miles old and does not make any noise at idle with the clutch released.

Any ideas?

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
What Rpm do you idle at? I idle at 850.

Check exhaust gaskets.

My idle speed is at about 850-900rpm.
It has American Racing Headers longtubes and x-pipe on it. The headers are sealed with 4 new Ford manifold gaskets and the bolts are stage 8 locking header bolts. The x-pipe attaches to the longtubes by a slip fit and a 3" band clamp. All that stuff is tight.

Last edited:

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
describe the tick if you can.

It's a tapping sound that's slow enough to distinguish individual taps at around 500-700rpm. It's because of this that I wouldn't think it to be a valve train noise. Of course it speeds up as engine speed increases and fades out entirely after 12-1300rpm.

I just changed out the tensioner pulley in an attempt to get rid of the noise because the squeaking does sound like a bad bearing in a pulley but that didn't take care of it. The bearing in the old pulley did have noticeable play in it though so a new pulley wasn't a bad idea.

chromeyellosnak

Established Member
Heres a long shot but its not the wires arching anywhere is it? My ram pick up has a couple cracked wires that sometimes get too close to the headers and I can hear the arching its very loud. I just reposition the wires when it happens cuz ive been too lazy to go out and put the new wires on lol

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
Heres a long shot but its not the wires arching anywhere is it? My ram pick up has a couple cracked wires that sometimes get too close to the headers and I can hear the arching its very loud. I just reposition the wires when it happens cuz ive been too lazy to go out and put the new wires on lol

Sounds like you're referring to spark plug wires but no, my car has the coil on plug conversion.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
Update:

After finding that my factory T45 had a crack in the tail housing (190,000+ miles on it), I replaced it with a 20k mile T45, new McLeod clutch and Valeo throw out bearing with a new clutch fork.
None of this helped with this original issue squealing/ticking sound. Today I took a different approach and removed the serpentine belt so that I could see if the front end accessories might be contributing to it------turns out, the accessories don't have anything to do with the noises.
Looks like I'm looking into the timing set as the source of the noises. I'll recheck the stage 8 bolts holding the longtubes onto the heads but I'm really leaning away from that as the source of the ticking sound.
Still no clue what the squealing/squeaking would be from.....the noise was still there with the engine running, car moving straight forward without the serpentine belt on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread