96 Compression Test

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
So I did a compression test on my 96 yesterday. Warmed it up, took all the plugs out and so on, and I just want to see what you guys think of these numbers;

5 - 210 1 - 210
6 - 205 2 - 200
7 - 210 3 - 208
8 - 210 4 - 210

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
nothing weird with the number being so high?

everything I've looked up is more like 170's so i didn't know if being higher was a bad thing

KCRN12

Established Member
You're better off being a little high than low. If its low, the rings aren't seating properly, the valves aren't seating properly, or you've got a head gasket problem. If you have one that's high, you probably have carbon buildup on the top of the piston and on the cylinder wall. But since all of yours are close, you're probably ok. The formula is that the lowest number should be no less than 75% of the highest number. If you want, you can run some top engine cleaner through it and see if it changes. If you have any carbon buildup, that should take care of it.

Bishop03

4v+DOHC=Big Power
Established Member
Well we are on the topic mine were 140 across with mo more than an 2% variation, the engine builder that inspected it said not to worry but those numbers seemed low to me, any ideas.

hope I am not highjacking the thread

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
bishop03 don't worry about hijacking the thread i got what i need anyways lol
kcrn12, i had the intake off to cleanup the imrc's and did notice some carbon buildup on the valves that i couldn't fully cleans so maybe that's what's causing the higher numbers
i am happy that they were all very close to each other though

Users who are viewing this thread