96 cooling issues?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Does anyone have any information regarding 96' Cobra cooling issues? I have heard that Ford had put out a statement on this, but there was never a recall.

I found this thread on it over at StangNet. Has anyone had the upgraded cooling system put on, or have any information as to part numbers or the upgrade number/name?

Also, this is probably a stupid question but I honestly don't know... did the 96 Cobra come with a front air dam?

I'm really looking for anything that will help me when I call the dealership about this, a little ammo if you will.

Any help would be extreemely appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
1996 Cobra Cooling TSB Information.
There is a TSB for the 1996 Cobras to upgrade their cooling system. The TSB number is 96-25-12 and should be performed on any car that is overheating.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
94-98 Cobras all had the same front fascia from the factory. Two large foglights of round shape at the corners. There are aftermarket front fascia and even add on air-dams for the 94-98 Cobras. Do you have a pic you could post of the car you are questioning?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Sorry, it's a bad picture, but it gets the job done.

248218_88_full.jpg

I know it's the stock fascia, I just noticed some open holes in the support bar that the radiator bolts into and was wondering if maybe an air dam should be there.

Thanks for your help thus far, both of you:beer:

max

Established Member
Yes, the '96 Cobra came with a plastic air dam. It's attached with plastic push clips(approx4 of them) onto the lower radiator support. I'd say its hangs down 3.5 inches and is about 3 feet wide.
If you'd like, I can take a pic tomorrow and post it.
later,
Max

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by max
Yes, the '96 Cobra came with a plastic air dam. It's attached with plastic push clips(approx4 of them) onto the lower radiator support. I'd say its hangs down 3.5 inches and is about 3 feet wide.
If you'd like, I can take a pic tomorrow and post it.
later,
Max

Yep. Good heads up.
Bob Bondurant had actually replaced this on all his Cobras, before he switched, with the airdam from an 89-93 Ranger. Said it helped catch a little more air, which helped the cooling issues in his student racer Cobras. It just helps direct air to the radiator, which may explain some of your cooling problems if you are having any.:beer:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Ok, I guess my next question is this. Could I get an air damn from say... a new edge model Mustang, or 6cyl/GT SN95? Or is there a specific dam for the Cobra's.

I'm planning on taking a trip to a few local salvage yards to locate one (I'm guessing they would be pretty pricey to get new) and just want to be sure that it will fit before I bring one home.

Again, thanks for all the help. You guys are awesome :thumbsup:

max

Established Member
I've never thought about interchangeability before, but I'm 95% sure the GT and Cobra pieces are the same. Here's a helpful hint....before going to the salvage yard, get under the car and measure the distance between the holes under your radiator support......and take the tape measure with you to the junk yard so you can verify it'll fit.
Max

BlackCobra96

Is your car overheating? Only some cars suffered from overheating. I have a 1996 and even with the supercharger, the cooling system works flawlessly. It's probably too late to get the dealer to do anything. If it were me, I'd go with an upgraded aftermarket radiator.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I've always shut the car off before it had the chance to overheat, but it comes very very close.

I know the car is missing the front air dam and the other air reflector that directs the warm air from the radiator away, so it doesn't get sucked back in by the fan. I'm going to replace those parts, see what happens and then go from there.

I doubt it's too late to get the dealer to do anything, too. The dealership that my warranty is through, is owned by my Dad's cousin :)

-Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread