96 Mystic question

jheath

Established Member
Hey all,

Recently found out my 96 i purchased a few months ago is originally a mystic cobra, build #7. The car was wrecked at some point and had a full color change to a ruby red looking color, still has mystic under the carpet and parts of the engine bay. I am wanting to get the car repainted back to mystic and wondering what my options are as far as paint, I know automotivetouchup.com has what is called Mystic pearl or Mystic II according to the mystic forum, but is there anywhere else that sells the paint also?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If you are trying to go back to stock good luck. You will need a certified Ford Dealership, time and money. The paint is said to be used to make money so any you buy you can not keep. I sold my Mystic due to the issues of simply getting the bumpers painted due to fad. If you are trying for an aftermarket then you can find paint that is similar.

96mystic#899

Established Member
I just had my car repainted a few months ago. My friend/painter found the paint rather quickly. Sold a kidney to get the whole job done right. My car was vandalized and was fading fast. Clear coat issues from factory.

Ps. Paid out of pocket. No salvage scams like almost EVERY shop wanted me to do.
2779ca311067a881d9b1fc46204b1e1a.jpg
3e56134cff9811a52b80937557b84cda.jpg
1abcc1aaf23649d4b78f31e12afa920a.jpg
3092658f04332065b14be2285243760b.jpg
833ece69bbf6828bb65f4cee25ae787b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jheath

Established Member
If you are trying to go back to stock good luck. You will need a certified Ford Dealership, time and money. The paint is said to be used to make money so any you buy you can not keep. I sold my Mystic due to the issues of simply getting the bumpers painted due to fad. If you are trying for an aftermarket then you can find paint that is similar.

From what I read the original restrictive paint is no longer available so hopefully is not a hassle anymore.

jheath

Established Member
I just had my car repainted a few months ago. My friend/painter found the paint rather quickly. Sold a kidney to get the whole job done right. My car was vandalized and was fading fast. Clear coat issues from factory.

Ps. Paid out of pocket. No salvage scams like almost EVERY shop wanted me to do.View attachment 1464534View attachment 1464535View attachment 1464536View attachment 1464537View attachment 1464538

Do you know what brand paint that he found? The one off the mystic forums I found was $2000 a gallon, which I figure is going to be average price regardless. Car defiantly looks amazing, hopefully mine will be that nice haha.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
From what I read the original restrictive paint is no longer available so hopefully is not a hassle anymore.
When my dad had the paint and body shop I had to respray a few Mystichrome Cobras. The paint can be mixed, and a match can be achieved. If my memory serves me correct it is a BASF paint. I have the paint formula on one of my old laptops.

The difficulty in this wild pearl, flip flop paint is not in mixing it. There is a process to spraying it.

I never tried to blend a panel with that paint. I would spray a swatch patch and get the paint to match the car.

I would drive my dad insane because I was meticulous. That's why he would call me; the job required a lot of finesse. My OCD perfectionist nature got the job done right.

I would actually buff and polish the car without the new panel before painting. I made sure I was matching to a perfect surface.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

96mystic#899

Established Member
Do you know what brand paint that he found? The one off the mystic forums I found was $2000 a gallon, which I figure is going to be average price regardless. Car defiantly looks amazing, hopefully mine will be that nice haha.
I used BASF. 2200 gal.

Users who are viewing this thread