96 Temp Gauge Fluctuation

Garrett Brooks

Established Member
Hey all I have a 96 Cobra vert and I was out cruising around in it the other day and noticed the temp gauge was fluctuating up and down while driving maybe 10-15% fluctuation. Not real sure what the deal is haven't had to much time to look but any suggestions on where to look first?

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Going between the R and A roughly?

Normal.

The temp gauge while some say is inaccurate is really a narrow range. There is only a few degrees between letters so moving from like 205 to 210 will only be a couple letters.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Do a radiator pressure test and test your radiator cap. IF your radiator cap is slowly failing it will raise the boiling point on your system and make your motor pull timing. These engines 2V/4V 96-98 love that sweet spot of 195-210. Anything below 180 is too cold, anything above 220 is way to hot. FYI

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Temps below were done with infrared thermometer, they’re pretty spot on! Just a helpful guide

N
O =200
R
M =210
A =220
L =230

Low speed fan on @208 back off @200

High speed fan on @228 off @224

Garrett Brooks

Established Member
Thanks for the tips guys I have been super busy at work this week and finally off now so gonna go check it out in about a hour.

Garrett Brooks

Established Member
So just checked it out and the coolant was low so topped that off! and then took it for a drive for about 15 minutes and it never got over R on the gauge but I did notice when I put the clutch in and let the rpms drop that's when the gauge falls off to like nothing lol and then higher rpms the gauge goes up but does not exceed R.

Didn't do anything over 60mph didn't feel like hitting the highway but 60mph 5th gear it stayed stable at R and no higher. Guess the coolant was the fix.

Users who are viewing this thread