'96 to '98 GT

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
I've been looking at the '96 to '98 GT's for a couple of day's now since I can't afford the Cobra just yet........What was the stock output?? Anyone do the P.I Head Swap and then Dyno???.....Have looked at about 10 cars and just can't find the one I want.......Driving about 40 miles tomarrow to look at a '98 with 55,000 miles......Dealer has it on lot for $10,900.00....Almost seems to good to be true but the Carfax came up clean so it might be the one.....What sites to you guys use to purchase your performance parts???....Thanks

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The 99+ head swap is a great way to get hp. Bear in mind that your compression goes up to like 10.5 to 1 Not the best compression for boost;-) Stock output is gonna be like 190 RWHP, give or take a little

Blackgeetee

Established Member
225 flywheel horses for the '98's. Changing the exhaust will liven it up, but the headswap is the key to big gains. It's cheaper than supercharging and gives you comparable gains. I thought about doing the headswap if I was going to keep my car.

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
Jimbo- let me tell you I would love to have a snake but right now its alittle out of the budget....including insurance....

So with the P.I. heads and a exhaust can I expect close to 99+ numbers or no?? If I were to buy headers after the swap would I need 99+ headers due to different heads or no???

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraDOHC
Jimbo- let me tell you I would love to have a snake but right now its alittle out of the budget....including insurance....
I understand completely. It's just the mystique and exclusivity that the Cobra carries with it (and that this is an SVT site...:-D).

Good luck with whatever you choose!

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
You can probably pick up a 94-95 GT, same body only with the 5.0. Probably pick it up cheaper and use the money you save to make it quicker than the Cobra!

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
This is just a step in to the mustang world....I never even really thought about owning anytype of mustand until a couple months ago....I just need something to get started thats all....a new Cobra will be mine when they redesign the whole platform in 2004 or 2005.....thanks for the info guys...

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
If you do the head swap you will have to use 99+ headers due to the different port sizes on the newer 99+ heads.

blck98stang

Established Member
96' to 98' GT

I've got a 98' GT look at the time the car was built. Mine was built in August if 98 and some how I got lucky. An mine came with the PI Heads. In the late part of 98' they produced a couple of the 98' body's with the '99 motor. I took mine to the track back in April an ran a 14.35 @97MPH on the first run. the 96'-98' is suppost to run 14.8 and 14.9. I've put cold air, pulleys, an 3.73 gears in it. My first run with the mods was a 13.82@103MPH. So if you get a 98' GT built in the later part of 98 you mite get lucky.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Re: 96' to 98' GT

Originally posted by blck98stang
I've got a 98' GT look at the time the car was built. Mine was built in August if 98 and some how I got lucky. An mine came with the PI Heads. In the late part of 98' they produced a couple of the 98' body's with the '99 motor. I took mine to the track back in April an ran a 14.35 @97MPH on the first run. the 96'-98' is suppost to run 14.8 and 14.9. I've put cold air, pulleys, an 3.73 gears in it. My first run with the mods was a 13.82@103MPH. So if you get a 98' GT built in the later part of 98 you mite get lucky.

Welcome to the site:beer:

I ran 14.8 @93 stock. Unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to get the rare PI 98..

BLACKVNM

Established Member
I have a 97 GT too(we're trying to sell it actually). I never went into the motor on it really, but I put a 3.73 gear in it and it woke it up pretty good.

blck98stang

Established Member
Originally posted by 98gtstang
ok my 98 gt was build 8/98 too how would i find out if i have the 99 motor thanks shaun

When you get the chance take the valve covers off and tell me if the head are round or oval then mail me back.

Users who are viewing this thread