'97 A/C Compressor Replacement Question

CobraVert97

C O B R A
Established Member
Hey Guys, I seem to have a possible slow leek from my A/C compressor. 2 years ago the condenser was replaced as that was thought to be the issue. It lasted 2 years until this season (mind you i've only put max 2k miles on her since, so NOT a lot of use, car currently has 39k) I've never changed one & the dealer is asking ~$750 to replace the compressor. I've never changed one & not sure how difficult a job it would be if I tried myself.
Anyone else done their own and/or am I getting shafted by this dealer or seems fair? I see the OE part online for around $175-$200 & figure another $100 for refrigerant, so about $400 for labor.

Martin6107

Established Member
The hardest part of the job is recovering the old refrigerant. You definitely do NOT want to let it just leak out. Many local shops will evacuate your system for a small fee. With that done, you can safely remove the lines and replace the compressor. While you are at it, you may as well replace the o-rings on all the lines since these dry out over time and are only a few bucks to replace. You may have to replace a few other parts in order to get the compressor warranty. Check with the manufacturer. Personally, I like to replace the filter and flush the condenser just to make sure any errant chunks are out of the system for good.

Once the work is done, borrow a vacuum pump and manifold gauge set from your local parts store. Draw the air out of the system. If the system holds vacuum over night then you are leak free. Refill with oil and refrigerant and you are set to go.

Users who are viewing this thread