97 cobra key fob stoped working???

blowncobra97

Established Member
Yes I checked the batteries and yes I tried to reprogram it by switching it on and off 5 to 8 times but it doesn't do anything, never switches into program mode like my other vehicles, I checked all the fuses there all ok..... I'm baffled..... anyone ever come across this ?, car runs fine, just cant use the key fob. any help would be appreciated

blowncobra97

Established Member
the fob isnt the problem, they work when I program them with my other car, something is wrong with the cobra, like I said I cant get it into the program mode

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a kinda strange deal too.
My igntoion key does not work in the doors or trunk. If my fob stopped working, I would be screwed!

hollywood43

Established Member
The controller for the keyless entry is in the trunk on the drivers side. If you pull the carpeted liner away from the fender, there's a black plastic holder with a box on it. The box that you're looking (I believe) is on the back side. Carefully pull the center of the two big plastic pins out and they will come free. I think the rear pin just pushes in. That box might have went bad on you. I have a spare one if you need it.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
prowlnviper said:
How do you program a new key fob to a 96 Cobra?

If you have one good key

1 put the 'good' key in and turn it to the run position, wait until the anti-theft system checks out the key and turns off.
2 remove it and immediately put in the new key and start the car.

To start from Scratch

1) Remove the left hand quarter panel from inside the trunk of your car. Turn the ignition switch to ON or ACCT and momentarily short the two terminals of the Program Connector J4. This is a two pin connector taped to the wire assembly and it should be in clear view. You can use a bent paper clip to short the terminalsIf you do this right, the doors will lock and then unlock. Once this happens, remove the shorting pin (ie paper clip.)

2) Push any button on the transmitter that you want to program. All doors should lock and then unlock to verify that the remote has been programmed. IF this doesn't happen, press the same button again, up to 3 times. If this still doesn't work, your security system may need servicing.

3) Repeat step 2 for each transmitter, up to a total of 4.

4) Turn ignition off. All doors should lock, then unlock.

5) Test the transmitters to make sure they work.

98 to current year Mustangs require TWO keys to make a duplicate. . All you need to do is take your current key to a dealer and buy a new key that fits your car with the chip. This costs about $20-35.

The following is the procedure for programing a THIRD key.
1) Insert an existing key and turn the ignition to ON (Run) and then back to OFF.

2) Within 5 seconds insert the 2ND existing key and turn the ignition to ON and then back to OFF.

3) Within 10 seconds insert the NEW 3rd key and turn the ignition to the ON position. Leave it ON for 1 second and then back to OFF.

4) The security light will light up for 3 seconds to indicate that the NEW key has been successfully programmed. That's it.
Now if you lose a key, you still have two keys so you can again program a 3rd new key.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread