97 cobra missfire at 4000 rpm

newtoy

Established Member
can anybody help? my 97 cobra acts as if it has a revlimiter at 4g. It will backfire and sputter. This is the car that member 1stcobra lost to the bank. Anyway i have been trying to fix his mess eversince i bought it from the bank. Everything he claimed that had been done has turned out to be a lie. Also does anybody have a wiring diagram for the engine. Whats the wirers running between the 2 coils with the gray plug for.

Toasty

Established Member
Install new plugs (Autolite 764's), wires (Ford racing 9mm), and fuel filter (motorcraft).

Is your check engine light on?

newtoy

Established Member
97 cobra missfires at 4000 rpm

my plugs have only 1200 miles on them and i put new wires (ford racing) on a month ago. I did forget to mention that this motor has 11 to 1 comp. last owners doing not mine. no check engine light. could it be a bad mass air flow (old pro-m 80 from best product inc.) callibrated for 36lb injectors. I just got a stock maf and 24lb inj but havent got them in yet.

Last edited:

Toasty

Established Member
my plugs have only 1200 miles on them and i put new wires (ford racing) on a month ago. I did forget to mention that this motor has 11 to 1 comp. last owners doing not mine. no check engine light. could it be a bad mass air flow (old pro-m 80 from best product inc.) callibrated for 36lb injectors. I just got a stock maf and 24lb inj but havent got them in yet.

Well the increased compression should be covered by a custom tune as your timing will need to be set appropriately.

What did you gap your plugs at? 0.54 is what you should be using.

Replace fuel filter.

uofipilot

Established Member
Well the increased compression should be covered by a custom tune as your timing will need to be set appropriately.

What did you gap your plugs at? 0.54 is what you should be using.

Replace fuel filter.

Toasty, I'm sure you know and that it was a typo, but just for clarification, gap at .054.

I don't even know how you could gap them at over half an inch, but someone might try....:lol1:

Coil packs could be on the way out, but it almost sounds like a fuel/metering issue if it just peaks at 4k.

newtoy

Established Member
think that i should install the stock maf and 24lb injectors? checked the fuel filter its ok. The car has a aftermarket fuel pump and relay on it. can anybody tell me what the wire loum between the to coil packs is for. It has a large gray plug that has removable end with wires that jump the wires back into themselves The diagram i got from ford does'nt show this

CWJameson

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Just had this problem

it was the Intake Air Temp Sensor right behind the maf on the tubing into the thottle body

so...
goto autozone 9.99 and win

newtoy

Established Member
Replaced this sensor ($23.86) today made no change, still have the same problem. Going to put new plugs in next (autolite 764's ,0.054 gap). After that I am going to replace the pro-m 80, maf (cal.36lb) and the 36lb injectors with stock 97 parts.

Users who are viewing this thread