97 cobra mm&ff magazine superfly project car

blacksvt10th

10th anniversary cobra
Established Member
Is anybody familiar with project superfly, a 97 cobra that is n/a and was covered in mm&ff magazine? I was wondering what mods were done to the car and its final rwhp and torque #'s.
Thanks

blacksvt10th

10th anniversary cobra
Established Member
Thanks, I have already found that though and im looking for the specific article(s) or some info on the exact modifications done, im trying to build a similar car.

DTB

Established Member
Good luck bro. I remember trying to look for that info before myself. I could only find like 1 article online. Spent hours going through my old mags to see if I had it too. If you look up an article called "remember the titans" it deals with a cam swap on that car. Might be good unless u already found it

BLACK97C0BRA

97DOHCAMMER
Established Member
Ive got a mag around here somewhere that has it in it, but from what i remember it had 355rwhp. Ill look and get back to you.

BLACK97C0BRA

97DOHCAMMER
Established Member
ok i found it its in the june 2004 issue if you have it if not heres the stats, 355rwhp and 309rwtq, it had a sean hyland built motor it just says higher compression doesnt give an exact number and it had comp camshafts,full exhaust and a msd dig 4 box.
Also had screamin demon coil packs and live wires, and it was bored .020 over and made 405 SAE HP.

Last edited:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
ok i found it its in the june 2004 issue if you have it if not heres the stats, 355rwhp and 309rwtq, it had a sean hyland built motor it just says higher compression doesnt give an exact number and it had comp camshafts,full exhaust and a msd dig 4 box.
Also had screamin demon coil packs and live wires, and it was bored .020 over and made 405 SAE HP.

For a car that went high 11s with those upgrades, it seems like a lotta money was thrown into that car...

There are examples of bolt on 96-98 Cobra cars running similar numbers with much less $ into them, and with a stock long block...

BLACK97C0BRA

97DOHCAMMER
Established Member
Well i read everything right out of the magazine,not going from memory, and it had a road setup for the suspension thats why it only went into the 11s.And if they had a C&L they took it off for the dyno day they had at SLP cause it shows a pic of the engine and it has a stock intake and even the box.

Toasty

Established Member
Dont bother going that route. There are guys on this board who have made 400rwhp N/A on a built engine with increased compression, C heads, ported 99-01 intake, and cams (106400's seem to do the trick).

PM na_svt and ask him his thoughts.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
For a car that went high 11s with those upgrades, it seems like a lotta money was thrown into that car...

There are examples of bolt on 96-98 Cobra cars running similar numbers with much less $ into them, and with a stock long block...

+1.

But that car wasn't design correctly for the strip (as someone mentioned road race suspension). But back then it was kinda impressive. I don't think it cracked the 400rwhp w/ b-heads. I could be wrong though.

-Mark

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
It had ported heads, short runner intake, long tubes, cams (106400s I think) and it made a little over 350rwhp

You can get good power out of B heads with the right parts. The problem is that most people spend the money on parts that don't provide good bang for the buck.

I'll look for the issue

I can get ya a lot more power for less money.

Last edited:

blacksvt10th

10th anniversary cobra
Established Member
yeahh, i would be content with 330 rwhp.. so far i just have long tubes, full exhaust, and a cold air intake. would the addition of a TB, short runner intake, IMRC delete, and possibly underdrive pulleys/tune get me anywhere close to those #'s??? Ideally I would love to do heads/cams also but I dont wanna pull the motor..

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
yeahh, i would be content with 330 rwhp.. so far i just have long tubes, full exhaust, and a cold air intake. would the addition of a TB, short runner intake, IMRC delete, and possibly underdrive pulleys/tune get me anywhere close to those #'s??? Ideally I would love to do heads/cams also but I dont wanna pull the motor..
330 is very had to get with a stock motor/cams but can be done with what you listed and some cam redegreeing. A TB is not needed at this power level but a 90mm maf may help.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I think I'd would have made 330rwhp if I removed my power steering and used race gas. But at the time I dyno'd it gas was over 3$ a gal for 93 so I said the hec with $7+ a gal for 110 octane. lol.

-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread