97 cobra timing

Cobrasc88

Established Member
I have a kennebell 2.1 on my 97 cobra with lower compression, no intercooler, and running around 100-104 octane. How far advanced on the timing can i go to get more power, I had my car on the dyno and only made 400rwhp and 430rwt, @19psi boost. My timing is at 16 when at WOT, any suggestions to how far I can advance it and make bigger numbers?

01yellercobra

Established Member
How much lower is your compression? And what do your IAT's look like without the intercooler? I think that is going to play a big role in how much timing you can run.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I wouldn't go over 20 on timing and like mentioned something is wrong and why the hell are you running 19lbs of Boost non-intercooled?

Cobrasc88

Established Member
I will have to take a look at my IAT's, Do i need an intercooler or meth injection? Only if its too hot right, I have asked kenne bell and they said I will be ok without it? I made 386rwt and 373rwp when I had 6lbs of boost and had it tuned with sniper tuning. Thats why I dont know why it would be so low and if advancing the timing will greatly increase my horsepower, it runs good and strong just not as much hp as it should. Also the air fuel ratio is at 12.0 solid

01yellercobra

Established Member
At 19psi you need some sort of intercooling. Be it meth or an air to water set up. Your IAT's are probably closing in on 200 degrees. Whatever timing you have in the tune is probably being pulled by the ECU due to the high temps. Did you tell KB you're pushing 19psi? I can't imagine them saying you'll be ok without an intercooler at that boost level.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
your afr needs to be more like 11.2, if you keep it at 12 you might as well start saving for a new motor. but something is waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy off if you increased boost by 11psi and only made 14 hp.

Last edited:

Cobrasc88

Established Member
I am going to check my IAT's this weekend, do i need to check them at WOT when warmed up or when exactly, and what is a safe number? Kenne bell said pretty much since don't have an intercooler or meth injection etc, Higher octane will compensate for this and lower compression that i have.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I would check them at part throttle cruising and WOT so you know where they are.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Cobrasc88

Established Member
Alright thanks, If they are ok, and my octane is high enough, say 105 or around there, then shouldnt that be ok since the octane and lower compression will keep it from detonating or getting too hot in the combustion chamber

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Dude who the hell tuned your car?!!! Do yourself a favor and come to Pensacola to XXX Motorsports and have them tune your car. I hate to say it but your shit is probably on the verge of blowing up.

Cobrasc88

Established Member
I just built the motor not even 500 miles ago and if anything its detuned since the timing is at 16 and air fuel is about right, I plugged in numbers i got from lee at C and L for my MAF transfer function and plugged in my fuel injector slopes and all for 60lb injectors, but thats what im in the process of getting it tuned or trying to figure what to do to be a safe tune with as much power as i can make while still being safe, Plan on going to hinson supercars here in lacey springs AL

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
AFR is not right 11.2-11.7 tops is fine, but with 19psi on a uncooled blower I'd say 11.0 to keep things as cool as possible. 19psi and pump gas?? again not safe.. As of right now IMO there is nothing safe about your tune. I think almost everyone would agree as well.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Who does your tuning? Have you been tuning it, you said something about plugging in the maf transfer function that you got from C&L?

Like said above somethings wrong, and it's not detuned if your still running 19psi.

Cobrasc88

Established Member
Ok I have sniper tuning commando software to change all i need to, Im about to have a tuner help me out since I know something is not right. I am not running on pump gas though, Like ive said I have a lower compression ratio and also will be using 105ish octane so not pump gas....... I can put the a/f ratio to 11.0 if that would help it, I just dont know if my timing is being too retarted at 16 when WOT.
I just want to know if it will work being at 11.0 a/f ratio and having 105 octane, that should keep it cool enough, then advancing the timing and whatever else to make more power. If not then there is definantly something wrong but I dont see what, it runs strong and no knocking or any rough driving

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
The problem is that you are running 19psi on a uncooled setup.. Regardless of fuel your intake temps are probably well into the 200's and it's killing timing.. So the computer is commanding 16degrees and as it gets hotter it's pulling timing so you're maybe seeing 8 for example. It's simply just want to much boost for a uncooled setup.. Drop the boost down to 10psi and I'll bet you make more HP because timing will be there.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Gas is gas it's not going to cool, it's only ability is detonation resistance. There's also a lot of different kinds of race fuels, including the fact that some have different stoich points then something like pump 93.

If you said you were running a 100% alcohol car, then I would understand the cooling effects.

You could probably make the same or more power then you are now, just by going back to only 6psi and feeding it more timing (than you previously ran) with the race gas.

Users who are viewing this thread