97 Cobra Vortec gas smell on acceleration

98Bird

Established Member
Getting a fuel smell after a hard run vs. a new Civic Type-R or whatever. (it was only "hard" because I lost traction in 3rd when the road curved a little, which scared the hell out of me).

I can feel the power not all being there now and I'm afraid to get into boost too often. Fuel injectors show no signs of leakage. No leaks on the fuel lines.

Driving normal, there's hardly any fuel smell. But getting on it, then it's pretty strong.

What next? Thanks.

1997 Cobra: 32 lb injectors, high vol fuel pump with KB Boost-a-pump. Vortec V1.

98Bird

Established Member
Ok, so it's not boost leak. Everything is tight. New gas cap.

Runs like crap now. Getting on it just a 1/2 way, the gas smell is much stronger & backfiring...with hardly any power.

It runs pretty normal off of boost. Can still hear the V1 whistling like normal at idle & low RPM but fluttering like when getting on it.

Help please.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
I'd definitely check ignition, sounds like it's breaking up under boost? Maybe the plugs have gotten fouled up?

98Bird

Established Member
Man, I'm a dumbass. One of the spark plug wires popped out.

Plugs were 0.26 and I regapped them at 0.28....was this a good idea? It's running good now. Thanks again for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread