98 cobra engine noise and how i fixed it. pics,vid

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
I see a lot of threads about the 4v guys and the "tick" or "knock" so I figured I'd try to help. Because I was that guy. Well started a couple weeks ago, came back from lunch and hear my car knocking. Was definitely a downer considering my car has 56k miles. It started out doing it only when hot, but progressed to 24.7. Can only hear it at idle and it was coming from the passenger side valve cover towards the timing cover. Made this video:

98 4v tick - YouTube

Took the belt off hoping it was a pulley sound, but no dice. Using the screwdriver on to the ear method I determined it had to be valvetrain. Took the cover off and nothing was visible or tell tale. Ordered 16 new rockers and 16 new lash adjusters through the dealer. My next problem was getting the job done. I started searching for the Ford tool #s and came across this

2V 4V V8 & 4.0L SOHC Valve Spring Compressor

Picked up that tool and began to work
A9FCBCB2-16A2-4F1C-ABD9-418857C4F5E9-15939-00000EE22657AC15.jpg

AFC9F79D-F29A-4AA0-A65A-CD2B61E6B1A5-15939-00000EE22E1E8574.jpg

Tool worked great. EXCEPT for cyl4 intake valve, the valve closest to the firewall, no matter how you positioned the tool and inserts... would NOT clear the cam cap and allow you to pivot the tool. Major bummer there. But I got 15 of the 16 rockers and lifters replaced, and the noise was definitely in the front so I let it slide.

888022BC-A945-42BF-B512-CE9248B8C992-15939-00000EE236B74A08.jpg

All back together. Quiet (thank god). Job cost me ~590$ with me doin all the work. Im a seasoned mechanic by trade so I'd recommend anyone who isnt a zilch and knows how to be careful with engine work to attempt this repair. Took me longer to slide the new rockers in place then the rest of the job combined.

Last edited:

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
Awesome. I have the tick on my 98 as well. I don't recall it on the 96 but I might get it out for some awesome snow pictures tonight and check it out...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

harvboi05

Established Member
so do you think it was follower or lash adjustor?

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
so do you think it was follower or lash adjustor?

lash adjuster, but since the rockers have to come out, i replaced the whole deal. I was skeptical at first, but the noise went away instantly :banana:

97_TXCobra

Established Member
I've got the same tick. Just started to be constant about 3 days ago. No video as I'm on vacation right now but when I turn the car off I can hear a metallic ping like oil is dripping and hitting something

harvboi05

Established Member
I have a noise that's dangerously similar but has its own irregular cadence and comes and goes. I have aftermarket lash adjusters installed, they have a few hundred miles on em.

I actually replaced my entire timing chain assembly on a hunch, its still there. Lol.

Did yours ever have an odd cadence?

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
I've got the same tick. Just started to be constant about 3 days ago. No video as I'm on vacation right now but when I turn the car off I can hear a metallic ping like oil is dripping and hitting something

That noise when you turn it off is most likely the exhaust cooling down and contracting.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
I have a noise that's dangerously similar but has its own irregular cadence and comes and goes. I have aftermarket lash adjusters installed, they have a few hundred miles on em.

I actually replaced my entire timing chain assembly on a hunch, its still there. Lol.

Did yours ever have an odd cadence?

mine was a sorta rhythmic knock just like in the video. Started out doing it only when warm, to as soon as I started it.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
i assume eventually something will fail in the valvetrain. and its embarrassing as hell pullin up to a red light with your car knocking anyway

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Good thread. My motor is quiet as hell so far, knock on wood.

I think it'd be worth a shot to throw in some marvel mystery oil or the like, then drive it for a bit to see if the passages get cleaned out and the noise stops. Then if the noise is still there, go ahead and replace them.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
Good thread. My motor is quiet as hell so far, knock on wood.

I think it'd be worth a shot to throw in some marvel mystery oil or the like, then drive it for a bit to see if the passages get cleaned out and the noise stops. Then if the noise is still there, go ahead and replace them.

My old 98 cobra went 106k then it spun a rod bearing. so when this happened so early i was not pleased. the thought went thru my mind to run some engine flush or similar (mystery oil etc..) but the way it sounded was just too loud. figured id better go for it before something bad happens. I have the worst luck with mod motors... i spun a bearing in my old 98 cobra, blew 3 rods out the side of my lightning, then this cobra starts knocking.. :nonono:

03DontMach

Established Member
Nice write up! I have a tick on my engine also. Mechanic says it is written and to get a new engine. May have to look into this.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
My old 98 cobra went 106k then it spun a rod bearing. so when this happened so early i was not pleased. the thought went thru my mind to run some engine flush or similar (mystery oil etc..) but the way it sounded was just too loud. figured id better go for it before something bad happens. I have the worst luck with mod motors... i spun a bearing in my old 98 cobra, blew 3 rods out the side of my lightning, then this cobra starts knocking.. :nonono:

Jeez, that is pretty bad luck. If my oil leak is coming from my oil pan, I'm thinking about replacing the rod bearings while I'm up there lol.. just for peace of mind.

You need the smaller tool with the engine installed. Rotunda 303-452 Ford 4.6 Valve Spring Compressor | Rotunda Tools

BTW, Good Job.

Nice, thanks for the info on the smaller tool.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
You need the smaller tool with the engine installed. Rotunda 303-452 Ford 4.6 Valve Spring Compressor | Rotunda Tools

BTW, Good Job.

the tool i purchased comes with 2 valve spring inserts, one big one small, and it has holes so when you do the intake side, you can set it up just like the rotunda tool you linked. Worked great except for the very back intake valve closest to firewall, there was no way any tool is going to fit. you can get the tool positioned on the valve, but you can not pivot it because of contact with the cam cap :??:

camcap.png

Last edited:

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
So, you replaced the lifters and rockers but not the springs...why do you need the tool. I thought the tool was for replacing springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread