98 Cobra engine runs rough when under load

cheaneyt

Established Member
I replaced the garbage wires and coil packs that I got from American Muscle with Motorcraft OEM parts and now the car runs like a Cadillac, er, a Lincoln. Totally got rid of the misfire problem.

By the way don’t ever buy anything from American Muscle all they sell is crap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
What coils were in? Mine are msd from summit , but my plug wires are the red ford rac8ng ones. Im still getting p0300

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wingless Cobra

Established Member
'97 Cobra, 80k miles, just started having issues.

I am literally having this problem that jimcobber and forcedfed had.

Bought new wires, coils, and plugs from American Muscle earlier this year. FRPP 9mm blue wires, MSD coil packs, NGK plugs.

For the last 2 weeks, my car has been running like shit. can hear faint misfires in the exhaust, like what it would sound like if there was no spark, just compression. Been freaking out thinking it was fuel pump or some other problem. Now i think i know its the wires.

Gonna go to my local ford dealer and just order the Motorcraft OEM wires. I have written emails to both Ford and FRPP to address this, as the wires are being fabricated/put together at a plant in Mexico. Their QC must be way off...

Thank you guys very much for posting your issues, as well as following up with the resolved results. You have saved me a potential good amount of $$$

98 Cobra Vert

Established Member
Hi Guys, I'm new to this great forum filled with awesome information. I have read in other Mustang forums that our Cobra's are sensitive to using only Ford motorcraft wires, plugs, and coil paks, anything else just doesn't work as well. Seems to be true after reading the post here.

Tillerman77

Established Member
While I have used the OEM wires to solve my misfire problem, I imagine that there are other wires, plugs and coil packs that will work fine. It does seem that the FRPP wires have been spotty in the past few years.

ForcFed93

Established Member
While I have used the OEM wires to solve my misfire problem, I imagine that there are other wires, plugs and coil packs that will work fine. It does seem that the FRPP wires have been spotty in the past few years.

I've had the MSD wires on my car for almost 4 months and probably 2-3k miles with absolutely no trouble.

Wingless Cobra

Established Member
@ForcFed93 I too have '97 pacific green cobra, must be the color lol...

I ordered Motorcraft 8mm OEM wires from RockAuto for $73 and some change. Great price, considering Ford Dealer wanted to charge me $133.

New wires should arrive next Wednesday 10/04, and I will be putting them on them. Will post update and results, keeping my fingers crossed that's the issue...

On a side note, had Oreilly's auto parts run a DTC scanner on the car, to ensure i'm not getting any other codes. P0430 popped up, as usual, because I have BBk OR-X pipe, which i know about. Bought MIL eliminators when got x pipe, worked for a while, then code popped up. Thats pretty typical of the elims, as they seem to have a 60% success rate. Bought a new pair recently, just to see if it shuts it off. Will be saving up for the tuner, as I know thats the only sure fire way to shut CEL light off.

However...

New code showed up for the first time. P1100 - MAF intermittent. great... now I will say, I have C&L CAI with the 80mm mass air housing, which I've read people have had problems with for 2 reasons: one, the bigger MAF housing isn't calibrated in the stock ECM, so therefore the computer has a hard time justifying the lack of velocity of air flow; second reason, is because stock MAF sensor doesn't like "oiled" air filters.

I know P1100 is more of an "electrical/voltage" issue, than it is dirty MAF. P1100 could also be from a leak in the CAI between MAF and throttle body.

Has anyone had any issues or experience with C&L cold air intake, pertaining to MAF? I read that some people, use the stock MAF housing, with the C&L intake pipe/tubing and filter.

Any thoughts?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
@ForcFed93 I too have '97 pacific green cobra, must be the color lol...

I ordered Motorcraft 8mm OEM wires from RockAuto for $73 and some change. Great price, considering Ford Dealer wanted to charge me $133.

New wires should arrive next Wednesday 10/04, and I will be putting them on them. Will post update and results, keeping my fingers crossed that's the issue...

On a side note, had Oreilly's auto parts run a DTC scanner on the car, to ensure i'm not getting any other codes. P0430 popped up, as usual, because I have BBk OR-X pipe, which i know about. Bought MIL eliminators when got x pipe, worked for a while, then code popped up. Thats pretty typical of the elims, as they seem to have a 60% success rate. Bought a new pair recently, just to see if it shuts it off. Will be saving up for the tuner, as I know thats the only sure fire way to shut CEL light off.

However...

New code showed up for the first time. P1100 - MAF intermittent. great... now I will say, I have C&L CAI with the 80mm mass air housing, which I've read people have had problems with for 2 reasons: one, the bigger MAF housing isn't calibrated in the stock ECM, so therefore the computer has a hard time justifying the lack of velocity of air flow; second reason, is because stock MAF sensor doesn't like "oiled" air filters.

I know P1100 is more of an "electrical/voltage" issue, than it is dirty MAF. P1100 could also be from a leak in the CAI between MAF and throttle body.

Has anyone had any issues or experience with C&L cold air intake, pertaining to MAF? I read that some people, use the stock MAF housing, with the C&L intake pipe/tubing and filter.

Any thoughts?

When was the last time you cleaned the MAF sensor? Sounds like you have an oiled air filter. The sensor can get covered up in filter oil and cause a CEL.

Wingless Cobra

Established Member
I cleaned it when I installed CAI, and I just cleaned it yesterday when I learned of the code.

When I cleaned it yesterday, it looked spotless, so I don't know...

I unplugged battery most of day to reset ecm, hopefully code won't come back.

Keep you boys posted once new plug wires come in

Wingless Cobra

Established Member
Update:

I installed the new Motorcraft OEM 8mm wires, misfire and hesitation gone... So it was the f****** FRPP wires I installed 6 months ago, making the car miss and hesitate.

Checked each plug as I changed wires; all dry and still gapped at .054

As a good measure, I removed MAF sensor, cleaned it again (looked spotless), and moved MAF housing position closer to "12 o'clock" as opposed to the "2 o'clock" position I originally had it in.

Also installed new MIL eliminators, to prevent P0430 from coming up (from off road x pipe and no cats).

Car runs like a champ now, forgot how hard it pulls.

One thing though... Now code P0174 comes up (system too lean bank 2). This is the only code showing up, but engine operates perfectly. I've read some of the possible problems for P0174, being faulty MAF sensor or dirty MAF sensor; possible exhaust leak; possible O2 sensor (upstream) faulty; or possible intake manifold gasket faulty.

Wanted to ask you guys if anyone has any experience with P0174, and what possible solutions/fixes were used.

Like I said, car is running like it should, but I don't want to push it with this code, as if it is a true lean condition (which is weird, bc my car definitely runs rich, you can smell it in exhaust), I understand that can damage the engine.

cheaneyt

Established Member
Ordered these to try and help my issue. Will update accordingly. As of now misfires and hesitation with the red ford racing wires
2af9d270edfec601289a7aaddddcea2b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

brucesvt

Established Member
Lol thanks for making this thread was about to order Ford racing wires next week

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Tillerman77

Established Member
Ford motorcraft wires and be done. Msd wires look nice and have heard positive things, but not sure if worth the premium you would pay.

Motorcraft 8mm wires are $74 on rockauto.com
Agreed, as that solved my misfire issue. The Motorcraft wires have a 2 year guarantee as well.

Users who are viewing this thread