98 Cobra engine runs rough when under load

cheaneyt

Established Member
I always thought it was best to stick with motorcraft plugs.

Sent from my LG-H900 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I had motorcraft platinum plugs and it was rough. She straight pulls now, no hesitation. Might just be her nature my friend. Eithe way no more misfiring and only need two rear O2s and for my cooling system last part to arrive. She runs great .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I had motorcraft platinum plugs and it was rough. She straight pulls now, no hesitation. Might just be her nature my friend. Eithe way no more misfiring and only need two rear O2s and for my cooling system last part to arrive. She runs great .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Motorcraft copper plugs are the best for these cars.
No platinum, iridium, tri-firing etc.
Just old school copper.

Poolman

Established Member
I realize I am adding to an old thread, but have the same miss/stumble issue on my 98. Started all of a sudden, car has run really flawless over the years. The only code was MAF voltage lower than expected, replaced MAF and miss is worse. No misfire codes.
Coils are original, car now has 42k miles. I put on Ford Racing 9mm wires about 22 years ago, at about 20k miles. Some set of plugs in it, likely Motorcraft stockers installed at the same time.
Has anyone used the FRPP wires lately? Maybe they fixed the issues with the wires. Recent reviews on the FRPP wires seem ok on LMR and AM, plus I like the blue wires.
So, FRPP wires? Will do new plugs and Motorcraft coil packs while I am in there. Thanks

freebird50

Established Member
The car is bone-stock, engine has 210,000 miles on it and does not burn a drop of oil. Wires, coil packs, plugs were changed about 3 months ago. The car ran really bad before I replaced all this stuff. I chucked the old stuff all out. I take it the general consensus is this is an ignition problem, not a fuel delivery problem? I'm willing to purchase another wire set if there is a chance that it will fix the problem. What wires do you guys suggest?
Get it diagnosed from another mechanic. I've thrown money at problems without a proper diagnosis and it sucks. Figure out the problem first. Learned the hard way myself.

Users who are viewing this thread