98 Cobra loses power badly

Teksid281

Banned
Ok I did a few searches and came up with nothing so I am starting this thread in hopes to find some help. Car had been throwing some codes recently. P1151 and 1131. Lean condition, yada yada yada. Checked first for vac leaks, found one rotten hose. Replaced hose and reset light, light returned. Same code, P1151. Checked for exhaust leaks, found none. Cleaned MAF and reset light, light returned. But this time it was P1131. So basically I've been checking and fixing every little issue I can before biting the bullet and putting new 02s on. Finally say to hell with it and put 2 new front 02s in. Reset light and drive, light returns.

NOW the weird part, today I was driving and noticed that it felt like my IMRCs were not opening. No power jump after 3200 rpm or whatever, and in this car it has always been noticeable. So I check the cables, and they are jumping when I rev it from under the hood. SOTP test again and it still feels like it has no power in the upper RPM range. But after an hour or two of driving, I notice that now not only does it not have any power, it is actually falling flat on its face after 4k rpm. The problem gets steadily worse, until the point where I can no longer drive the car. Like pressing the gas pedal does not work. Park it, let it cool off, disconnect the battery for atleast 5 minutes. But sure enough after taking off again the problem steadily returns.

Its like as soon as it gets warm it starts running like ass, especially when its in gear. If you free rev it it will turn all the way up to 6k with no problem. The motor has good vacuum and good compression. It burns a little oil, but not much. Its not clutch slip, and the plugs and wires are pretty new (less than 5k miles) I checked the plugs and they were a little over gapped so I gapped them back down to the recommended range. Still no change. I am at a loss now. Its a stock 98 motor, JLT CAI, O/R H, and a Sniper tune, but all that is in the tune is a slight timing advance and a litte more fuel up top.

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please?

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Sounds like it could be a fuel issue. Your pump might be on it's way out or the fuel filter could be plugged.

Teksid281

Banned
I changed the filter about a year or so ago. The fuel pump still runs good and loud when I turn the key on. I guess I will go ahead and put another filter in it. Damn IRS makes it a bitch.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Let me know if you figure it out... My car felt like it was making 300hp, so I assumed the IMRC's were closed. I pulled em, deleted them, and the car still ain't making power. :(

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Do you have access to a scan tool like the Ford NGS or a Snap On Vantage/Solus or the like? That'd be an easy way to narrow things down real quick.

Teksid281

Banned
I do have access to a snap on vantage scanner. I will try that after I mod my JLT CAI in to an RAI, if it can even be done. Changed the filter with no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread