98 Cobra PATS problem, NEED HELP!

svtcobralover

Established Member
Ok, as with any 16 year old car it's expected to run into a few problems. Well today as I was pulling out of a shopping plaza as its pouring down rain, my 98 cobra decides to shut itself off. It will crank but just wont start. I noticed the theft light is flashing when trying to crank it over. From my experience, my best guess is that it's the PATS. I had someone crank the car as I pulled one of the plug wires off the coil pack and I had no spark. I have a brand new battery in the car, as I installed it about a month ago.
The thing I find odd is that I tried checking all the fuses with the ignition on, but there is absolutely no power at all to any fuse. Is this another indicator that it's the PATS? I also tried to put the car stock tune back in, but my SCT handheld says that there's a power issue, so I can't even load anything onto the computer.

Any help is appreciated guys.

Last edited:

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
Damn, well buddies car had the same issue but was a crown Vic. It was the sensor that reads the key code to allow it to starts(pats). Replaced it and car is fine now. Hope this helps.

brucesvt

Established Member
My old cobra did the same thing, had the car keys re-made and programed. that did the trick for me. hope this helps

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
Forgot to mention along with the new sensor we changed out the ignition then had ford program those keys to the car. Not sure on price but i do know it was around 150-165 bucks.

svtcobralover

Established Member
I'd replace the key sensor first. That's probably what failed.

I can't seem to find a key sensor on autozone's website, am I looking for the right part? Or do I need to get it from the ford dealer? I really want to try and buy some parts tomm, as it's my only day off this week and would really like to get it started.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I can't seem to find a key sensor on autozone's website, am I looking for the right part? Or do I need to get it from the ford dealer? I really want to try and buy some parts tomm, as it's my only day off this week and would really like to get it started.

I significantly doubt whether you'd find this item at an AutoZone. This is what you're looking for. It's called the PATS transciever.

transceiver1.jpg

Pretty easy part to fit. Be honest with you, I think I may still have one sitting around in my basement that I know is in working condition.

svtcobralover

Established Member
If I go to a junkyard, can I just install it and be good to go or do I still need to have the car reprogrammed?

Users who are viewing this thread