'98 Cobra spring upgrade

mambaman

Established Member
I'm getting a '98 Cobra within the week with 25k miles, and when test driving noticed a bit more body roll than i like. is it a terribly difficult thing to have eibach pro-kit springs installed, and if i do this, do i need to upgrade anything else (struts, camber/caster plates, etc?)i won't have a whole lot to spend, so as for handling mods i'm thinking BFG G-force tires and the springs. any comments?thanks

Wildpony

Established Member
I have the Ford Motorsport M 5300-F spring kit which is made by Eibach. I think it was like $350 installed (can't remember). I bought them to lower the car but they are rated stiffer than the SVT progressive rate springs in both the front & rear. These should help you. BTW I have the stock Ford shocks/struts & will probably replace them with the same.

mambaman

Established Member
any idea of retailers that sell this, and also, how much do you have to pay to get such springs installed?what is the reason for replacing the struts and shocks when you lower?thanks

Wildpony

Established Member
Oh yeah I don't have caster/camber plates or offset rack bushings. I know I am maxed out on either the camber or the caster setting on my alignment, but so far the tires are wearing evenly for the past 2years.

FYI : Since you are from Norwalk hopefully you will be at the "Smackdown " private track rental event on the Friday before Memorial Day. (I believe from 9am-4pm)

Wildpony

Established Member
Summit, BBK (both east of Cleveland). I got mine done @ Alternative Auto up in Michigan. Some guys change them cause they do road course racing . They will buy "adjustable struts" to get better handling. Others buy them to replace worn out units or whatever. You said you didn't have alot to spend and if the car only has 25,000 miles your struts/shocks should be fine. You could change your rack bushings,tie rod end link bushings to some of the "PST" polygraphite style or something in urethane.. I would try that 1st before getting shocks/struts..

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
what is the reason for replacing the struts and shocks when you lower?thanks

The reason is... because the spring lenght is shorter, your struts are no longer in their correct range of movement and will increase ride harhness. In no time they will fail.

Greg

Wildpony

Established Member
I have had the FMS M-5300C springs on my car since the spring of 1999. The car now has apprx. 56,000 miles on it. The springs are the original stock pieces and they are fine..

mambaman

Established Member
ok, thanks, i just have a few more questions. where on the web can i find the springs(i'm told it costs about $250 for an install), and what kind of life can i expect from my struts if i don't replace them right away?also, i thought that caster and camber weren't adjustable?thanks

Wildpony

Established Member
Summit. You will have them by Tues. if you order today and they have them instock..Price around though & get them to price match ads in mags. such asMM&FF. Remember they have free shipping ..

mambaman

Established Member
that sounds really good, but i found some of the eibachs on Ebay for $185, and some Steeda's for $171. i think i'll pribably end up going for the Steeda since they offer a relatively moderate drop (1-1.25 inches) but should still help out quite a bit with body roll (or so i've read).if anyone has any more pertinent info to add, i'd appreciate it. thanks

Last edited:

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
Here is a link to some parts you may be interested in. Particularly with the strong $US currency, it might be worth your while.

Link

NEW ITEM Mustang Mach I struts and shocks ... these are Tokico "Premium" non-adjustables, will fit all 94 and newer Mustangs for the front, all except 99-up Cobra in the rear. The front struts include new upper mounts. $275.00 for a set of 4. These are excellent low-priced shocks and struts, will reduce the ride harshness of a lowered car compared to stock struts and shocks. Will also work on stock ride height 87 - 93 5.0L Mustangs.

Mustang "Bullitt" coil springs ... these will drop a V8 car approximately 3/4", improving handling and getting rid of the big fender to tire gap, while keeping acceptable ride comfort. Will fit all 1994-up cars except for the rear of 99-up Cobras with IRS. $250.00 for a set of 4.

Good Luck....BTW....These are Cdn prices

Last edited:

mambaman

Established Member
those prices seem phenominal, any idea on how long that deal will last?also, i don't think i'll go with just a .75" drop, i'd really prefer more like an inch or more, but i love the sound of those struts. any ideas on how they'd do with the steeda springs?thanks

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
any idea on how long that deal will last?

Not sure but, if you click on the link, there is an email address at the bottom of the page. It'l get ya in touch with Ed Nicholson. I've dealt with him and he's great. He raced mustangs/t-birds and knows his stuff.

any ideas on how they'd do with the steeda springs?thanks

Should work well. Again Ed will fill ya in.:thumbsup:

Greg

MidLifeCrisis

Established Member
Dam...I've got to start my own garage. $250 to $350 to install a set of springs. I did the springs on my Cobra in about two hours! Thats all four! Its real easy. The backs were kind of a pain. I've got the Ford Racing Sport Springs. I forgot the P/N but they really made the car look good. The ride is tolerable but a lot stiffer. I didn't change shocks either and they haven't failed yet. The camber is a bit negitive but the tires aren't wearing. Good luck!

mambaman

Established Member
well, i just found out that i can't buy from them as they cannot export parts to the US due to their agreement with ford.it looks like i'm going to have to look around a bit more for struts( i can use any mach 1 struts though, because it's half an inch lower than standard or something, right?), but i think i'll go with the steeda's anyways.otherwise, does anyone know of a good place to get good deals on struts?(mach 1 or otherwise?)thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread