98 Cobra Stereo Navigation Upgrades?

Cobraonr

Established Member
What upgrades have you SN95 guys done? I've seen a few pics from simple replacement of the 1U and a few have customized the center console for 2DIN size full navigation 5" screens.

We are headed to MI next week, the kids in the Expedition & the wife and I in Cobra. Should be a fun blast back to MI from Maine for vacation. Yeah, I know, I'm gonna miss the Dream Cruise in Aug. but we'll get there one day.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
I converted to a double din and installed an app radio 4.

I don't like it. I wish i would of kept the 2 single dins and installed an iPad mini, relocating the hvac to the bottom. I still might do it, but the cost of the iPad mount, and the fact that i have no easy way to rig up a backup camera, kind of turns me off.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I converted to a double din and installed an app radio 4.

I don't like it. I wish i would of kept the 2 single dins and installed an iPad mini, relocating the hvac to the bottom. I still might do it, but the cost of the iPad mount, and the fact that i have no easy way to rig up a backup camera, kind of turns me off.

I thought about installing an iPad Mini in my car before to use it as my media source - but have you ever tried to use a touch screen while driving with not even a physical knob for volume adjustment? Really friggin dangerous!! Especially the way our 20+ year old cars ride down the road.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
I've been thinking about tearing out the Mach 460 this winter and getting rid of all the amps and unnecessary junk, weight, and upgrade in the process. I don't know much about stereos so I just need to get busy researching what components I want to get. Already have aftermarket single din head unit.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
I thought about installing an iPad Mini in my car before to use it as my media source - but have you ever tried to use a touch screen while driving with not even a physical knob for volume adjustment? Really friggin dangerous!! Especially the way our 20+ year old cars ride down the road.
Well they have Bluetooth remote buttons that can be set up.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. It would be an easy setup too. Either buy one of those Bluetooth adapters and splice them into the aftermarket radio harness, or pull all the Mach 460 stuff, put an amp with an iPod input and run a lightning cable to the front.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Well they have Bluetooth remote buttons that can be set up.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. It would be an easy setup too. Either buy one of those Bluetooth adapters and splice them into the aftermarket radio harness, or pull all the Mach 460 stuff, put an amp with an iPod input and run a lightning cable to the front.

How do you plan to mount it? Keep us posted I look forward to seeing this done. I think the Mach 460 system is actually more than adequate with an aftermarket sub for most people. I wouldn't be so quick to rip it all out.

One more thought too - do you have an iPad with a data plan or would you tether your iPad through your phone's hotspot when you are in the car?

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
Well I'd rip it out because you can't swap speakers and still run the same amps - something about different Ohms. I'm not sure. I'm by no means an expert on this stuff.

I was planning on mounting it with the CA man iPad kit, however after seeing the price of those things, I'm not in a rush. Just something I've been toying around. I might of pulled the trigger already if it wasn't for me losing the backup camera.

Users who are viewing this thread