98 Cobra Supercharger

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfoos59

Established Member
What kind of supercharger is best on a 98. I see the brands are pretty limited. I'd like to put a roots type on rather than a centrifical.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
You have one option, the non intercooled KB kit. Thats the only one. No Whipple, NO EATON! And currently there is no available intercooler option for the KB kit and there likely never will be. The most power you will be able to make is 400 rwhp ish. No room for growth. You cannot swap PD blowers or their intercoolers from other year Cobra's onto 96-98 Cobra's unless you swap cylinder heads and a list of other parts.

Go centri or go turbo.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
save the money you'd spend on a supercharger and buy a good used 03-04 motor :) plenty of room to grow and many more supercharging options !

or go turbo, or centri but even then how much more could you make on the stock motor over a non-intercooled KB anyway.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
You have one option, the non intercooled KB kit. Thats the only one. No Whipple, NO EATON! And currently there is no available intercooler option for the KB kit and there likely never will be. The most power you will be able to make is 400 rwhp ish. No room for growth. You cannot swap PD blowers or their intercoolers from other year Cobra's onto 96-98 Cobra's unless you swap cylinder heads and a list of other parts.

Go centri or go turbo.

still a hater for the PD blower's eh? only 400 for a KB 2.1L on 96-98 cobras is bullshit- you've only got 400 with a centri?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
also to add to this thread in a constructive way- to the OP, Kenne bell as a company is hard to work with unless you get the right dude on the phone, and there will be issues with any aftermarket unit you put on your car- twinscrew or centri.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
still a hater for the PD blower's eh? only 400 for a KB 2.1L on 96-98 cobras is bullshit- you've only got 400 with a centri?

400ish. That is + or - some rwhp. Hence the ish. And my 400 rwhp was made with 2 degrees timing, 8 pounds of boost, and only reving to 6k rpms because I was seeing spark blow out. With a better tune and better fuel there is no doubt I could reach 450rwhp. With 10# maybe I could see 480-500 rwhp. You cant get that with your 2.1L now can you! I was being constructive in my first post. I answered the OP's question and gave more insight.

And I'm not a hater of PD blowers, they just are not readily available for 96-98 Cobra's. And there is no real room to grow with the KB kit offered because there is no intercooler available.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
400ish. That is + or - some rwhp. Hence the ish. And my 400 rwhp was made with 2 degrees timing, 8 pounds of boost, and only reving to 6k rpms because I was seeing spark blow out. With a better tune and better fuel there is no doubt I could reach 450rwhp. With 10# maybe I could see 480-500 rwhp. You cant get that with your 2.1L now can you! I was being constructive in my first post. I answered the OP's question and gave more insight.

And I'm not a hater of PD blowers, they just are not readily available for 96-98 Cobra's. And there is no real room to grow with the KB kit offered because there is no intercooler available.

you're absolutely right, and to be honest, if I had it to do over again, I would do a F1 setup- I have no intercooler, and can't go past 20 psi. BUT- the 2.1L is not the 1.5 or the 1.7, with 9 psi I made 450, and once I get my meth figured out, I hope to do more. really s/c are really about preference, sound, and possibilities. to each his own, and I hope 97desertcobra, that you get those numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread