'98 Cobra Transformation!

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
For those who haven’t seen all of the details of this on the other forum, I thought I’d post a brief overview of the car and how it’s turning out. The basic set-up is:

 5.3L BB stroker, coated pistons, Oliver rods, Total Seal rings, ARP hardware, etc.
 Fox lake prepared FordGT heads
 Ford Racing intake manifold
 “Stockish” cams degreed in
 Twin 60 trim Precision turbos

The car has been through a lot of issues since I’ve had it and it is a very long story. The bottom line is that we’ve gone from this:

To this:

And finally now to this:

There are still several details to complete under the hood which includes powder coating the intake, crossover tube, etc.

We just got the car up and running late last week. Here is a short video of the car firing up and running shortly after the first time we started it. It’s a miracle the car ran this good considering the massive custom modifications and changes with this new set-up—not to mention we went from 120 lb injectors up to 160 lb’ers. This is with NO tuning yet so it’s running a little rich. Sorry it’s not the best quality:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FIY-sQOrPg"]YouTube- 98 Cobra 5 3L Twin Turbo[/nomedia]

Here is the idle after a little tuning (but still not done):

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSoHJo47W_g"]YouTube- 98 5.3 Stroker Twin Turbo Cobra Idle[/nomedia]

We got it on the dyno a bit for some break-in, etc. It sounds pretty mean so far: Oh, the inlet pipe blows off about 2 minutes into the run, lol:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_vsim5Bqxc"]YouTube- 98 5.3 Stroker Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra Breaking In New Engine[/nomedia]

The engine and car were built by Turbo Connection Racing and being tuned by them also. Anyway, it’s been a long road with this car and this is a major milestone! I’ll post updates as I get them.

Last edited:

harvboi05

Established Member
holy cow. amazing. what are your goals with the car? what hood do you plan on running?

harvboi05

Established Member
Its coil on plug.

its got wires in these pictures:

2764222940106583653S600x600Q85.jpg

2583433310106583653S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
If I recall correctly, the coil packs are hidden in the valley under the intake.

He's got an absolutely outstanding build thread for this car in the 1996-1998 Cobra section on modularfords. You guys should check it out.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Thanks for the comments! I'm looking for 900-950rwhp so we'll see how it goes. I do have a Cobra R hood so everything fits under it. I'm not sure if the stocker would work or not. It may be close where the pipe comes off the t-body.

Users who are viewing this thread