98 Cobra VS 02 WS-6

no slow 88

Established Member
Me and a couple of friends went out to the local spot friday to see what was up. When we pulled in there was a group of RICERS and a 98 Cobra. So we parked an went to talk to the guy in the Cobra. He didn't pop his hood or anything but I could see the huge BFG's out back on COBRA R's. The only thing I know about the car is that it had exhaust, 4.11's or 4.30's, and the juice( not used in the race ) He asked if we wanted to go from a DIG. I told him we needed to go from a roll because of the stock eagle F1's spin wildly. He said sure I know a place we can go. We finally get to spot , and he pulls into the on coming lane we went from 30 in first gear. On the third honk we took off with cobra right beside us until the shift to 2nd. From there it was all LS1. We also went on the interstate from 45- 50 and it was the same outcome!! So at this point we are feeling sorry for the Cobra. So we gave him a jump and still pull back around until a car got in the way. I thought a 98 would fair better then it did. Oh yea the mods on the WS-6 were lid/cut out/hooker exhaust.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
LS-1's are fast. I just put $2000 in heads, cam, intake and a couple of other things in my 302. I can probably take a stock one but my friend has a 98' Z-28 with stall, lid, cutout, and cam. He f#cking killed me. Once I had to shift it was all LS-1. Definately have my FULL respect. As for a 98' cobra, they look good but without boost they fall behind real quick.

ActionJack

Established Member
Nice Kill :beer:

Too bad us LS1 stock guys have to look for the pre 03 and 04 to have a chance.

I am hoping to get some mods to help change that....:coolman:

corysmach1

Established Member
A 98 cobra with just 4:10's or 4:30's going from a roll will get smoked. They are underpowered to the LS-1 from a dif with that gear and DR's he would do better but still get beat.

Ryan00TJ

Established Member
Lid @ Cutout LS1's are easily capable of those numbers but it was due to the fact that it's an 02 car benefitting from the LS6 intake and better flowing exhaust manifolds. My car laid down 315rwhp @ 326rwtq bone stock with 1500 miles on the motor. Adding Longtube headers, Offroad Y pipe into a cutout or good flowing catback can net 25-30rwhp gains on an LS1 as long as the airfuel ratio has been tweaked. Usually adding longtubes will make the car run rich and will negate alot of the possible power you could be making. An LS1 with full exhaust, ported tb and lid along with an ASP pulley and tune should see 350-360rwhp easily. However you rarely see these numbers b/c most LS1 owners don't have their car tuned until they throw in a bigger cam or add a HC package. Tuning is key to making power with the LS1!!!!

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
LS-1's are fast. I just put $2000 in heads, cam, intake and a couple of other things in my 302. I can probably take a stock one but my friend has a 98' Z-28 with stall, lid, cutout, and cam. He f#cking killed me. Once I had to shift it was all LS-1. Definately have my FULL respect. As for a 98' cobra, they look good but without boost they fall behind real quick.
What kind of H/C/I are on your car?

MikeW

Established Member
Good Kill! Thats how it all ways comes out when I run into a LS1 in my 97. From a dig I fare a little better but by the top of third ... I'm 1 1/2 to 2 cars back. I run'um for the kicks of it:beer:

Droptop Snake

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
Originally posted by 97topless snake
Good Kill! Thats how it all ways comes out when I run into a LS1 in my 97. From a dig I fare a little better but by the top of third ... I'm 1 1/2 to 2 cars back. I run'um for the kicks of it:beer:

I used to have the same problem with my '96 'vert. Longtubes, 3.73s and a single blade TB/inlet pipe took care of their 3rd gear disappearing act. I've pulled a couple of auto WS6s, SSs and one M6 SS from a 50 roll (even surprised a former 96 Cobra owner in his 99 C5 when he couldn't pull on me). That's not to say that modded LS1s still don't give me fits. :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread