98 GT questions

99L#411

Established Member
ok, i had a 98 v6 5 speed that we put a 98 gt motor and 3650 in. i ordered a matching ECM and ignition switch with programmed key from MPS auto salvage. we installed everything and the theft light blinks. now, i have heard that in teh 98's the instrument cluster also has to match the ecm and keys. I tried clearing the codes using my tuner and start teh car but no luck. so i called MPS to see if tehy still had the same car there, and they are sending me the matching cluster.

Anyone else had this problem or know if what im doing will work?

RichM1983

Established Member
The cluster, key, and ECM all have to match one another before the car will start. If your getting the matching cluster you will be fine.

99L#411

Established Member
thanks for the help guys. The cluster should be here in a few days and i will post results. I should have left the v6 stock LOL

99L#411

Established Member
ok i installed the matching inst cluster for the 98 gt 5 speed and still get a flashing theft light. i only have 1 key to the 5 speed ignition. can i install a custom tune to delete pats if i only have 1 key and will it work? im bout to just sell this damn car lol

99L#411

Established Member
UPDATE:
we got teh keys to communicate with the computer. but just as before with the auto ecm and auto tranny, teh car will run for 30 secs and then shut off. theres NO theft light. car will start right back up then die again. The CCRM works, all the relays work, the inertia switch works. i can run a wire from the fuel pump to the battery and the car will stay running that way, but that messed up the last motor i had in it bc the ecm thinks the car is off.

Im very very close to putting the v6 back in it. ive tried everything. ive pissed away about $2000 on the swap AGAIN, for the same results. someone please help me.

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
This section is not very popular. I would check out the http://forums.stangnet.com/ forum for this year car. SVTP rocks for Cobra's/svt's but for poor ole GT's and V6's.... wrong site lol.

edit: im not adverting for stangent (i barely use that site)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread