98 SVT Contour- Fuel Pump Not Coming On-Help!

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
Okay guys, this is the most bizarre ever..I have a 98 SVT Contour..Had no problems at all..I am the 2nd owner as of Dec 08..Car ran fine..Up until 2 days ago..When I decide to put on the 9mm Ford Racing plug wires that were given to my by the previous (1rst owner) ...So again, the car ran fine..I put on the new plug wires..something isnt right..I had 1 and 3 crossed..So I fixed it..Started it up..seemed okay..took it down the road..Missing horribly..so I pull it in..put the old plug wires back on,correctly..wont even start..So I put the new new back on..Still hesitation..So I check my spark plugs..they were pretty worn and seemed like a good time to replace them..So again, the still runs..I take the old Autolite 746 Double Plat's out and install new Autolite 746's..put it all back together, properly..Go to start the car..NOTHING!! Wont crank over..Took me all of 10 mins to change spark plugs and within that time something went wrong and now cant even start it..I have checked it all..Now I notice that Fuel Pump is not coming on..I have checked fuses, relays, cut off switch..everthing is fine..but fuel pump not coming on now..So what the hell is going on? Anyone know? Ever had this happen?? I change plug wires and get hesitation-I change spark plugs and get nothing and no fuel pump-Anyone know anything?Please post if you do-
Thanks
[email protected]

93LITE

Established Member
Well guess what, your not the only one with this type problem. Two weeks ago we take my sons 98.5 out of storage, he decides to change oil before he starts driving it for the summer. We let it run for 5-10 min. to get the oil up to temperature. Change the oil, start it up and it just bogs, finally dies and won't start. No fuel in the rails no pump priming sound. Fuses good, power at pump. Check around on the internet and it seems that these just quit for no reason. We haven't had time to try and change it, but from what I read it's not easy. You have to make the hole under the back seat bigger and the early pumps are like $200 plus. His only has 48,000 mi. I guess we'll have some fun soon. Good Luck!!!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
You have to make the hole under the back seat bigger and the early pumps are like $200 plus.
Its actually not that hard, and with some minor work you can use a fox body fuel pump. I put a 190lph in for my 3.0L and picked it up for around a hundred bucks.

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
Its actually not that hard, and with some minor work you can use a fox body fuel pump. I put a 190lph in for my 3.0L and picked it up for around a hundred bucks.

So do you guys think it is def.the fuel pump? Why in the hell would it work right better I changed the plugs and then 15 minutes later after I get the new plugs in, it dont work?? These SVT's do some weird shit huh? This is really odd

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
So whats the problem?
Is it the car won't even turn over? Or is the car not getting any fuel?
Did you remove the coil pack when you did the plugs and wires? Did you put the ground back on that goes to the coil pack?

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
So whats the problem?
Is it the car won't even turn over? Or is the car not getting any fuel?
Did you remove the coil pack when you did the plugs and wires? Did you put the ground back on that goes to the coil pack?

-Well, the problem is that after I changed the spark plugs, the fuel pump is not even coming on or humming at all when I try to start it up or turn the ignition on..The engine will crank, but not turn over all the way..So its a fuel problem somewhere I guess, but I have checked the fuel pump fuses,relay and cut off switch under the dash..Im guessing no fuel is getting to the plugs since the fuel pump is not coming on..I will say that when I changed the plug wires, I did not remove the coil pack at all since I could get to the back 3 plugs and I did not disconnect any ground or any of those when I installed the new set of 9mm wires..It did start up after I replaced the plug wires, but had a miss when I took out for a drive...and the wires are hooked up right..So its just really strange that I change spark plugs,which took all of like 10 minutes and it wont start up.. Hell, all I wanted to do was put on a Free set of new plug wires and change the old plugs..Never thought Id get this much damn trouble from it all..So its no fuel due to the pump not coming on-

So what do you think??

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I'd relieve fuel pressure via the srader valve to see if it has pressure. After that, its easier to pull out the back seat and at least get to the pump to see if its getting power. If it is getting power, then you know the pump shit the bed on you and for whatever reason.

FWIW, after doing my 3.0L install, my fuel pump just got weak all of a sudden. No signs or anything, so it does happen.

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
I'd relieve fuel pressure via the srader valve to see if it has pressure. After that, its easier to pull out the back seat and at least get to the pump to see if its getting power. If it is getting power, then you know the pump shit the bed on you and for whatever reason.

FWIW, after doing my 3.0L install, my fuel pump just got weak all of a sudden. No signs or anything, so it does happen.

I have the back seat out so I can see the pump, but I hear nothing from it..So how do I test it for power then? Also, where exactly is the srader valve located ? Do I need a pressure guage for this?

Alright, I am going to check into the srader valve and see if theres pressure..Will post later .Just curious, how long is the install time on a new fuel pump in the SVT ?

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I suck at electronics, but I think a simple test light would work on the harness that plugs into the pump. Ground the test light, turn the key to the on position, and touch it to one of the two prongs on the wiring thing. If it lights up, you got power...and the pump is toasted.

I don't recall where the srader valve is on the 2.5L. I think its just under and to the right of the throttle body. I got rid of mine going on 3 years now. :beer:

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
I suck at electronics, but I think a simple test light would work on the harness that plugs into the pump. Ground the test light, turn the key to the on position, and touch it to one of the two prongs on the wiring thing. If it lights up, you got power...and the pump is toasted.

I don't recall where the srader valve is on the 2.5L. I think its just under and to the right of the throttle body. I got rid of mine going on 3 years now. :beer:

Found the srader valve..was exactly where you said it was..but I dont have a pressure guage here ,so I guess there is no other way to test it huh?

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
Found the srader valve..was exactly where you said it was..but I dont have a pressure guage here ,so I guess there is no other way to test it huh?

Okay, I dont have the pressure guage, but I pushed in the valve with a small screwdriver just to see if there was any pressure and I figure I would get something like when you put in your tire valve..Figured some pressure would be releaved..i pushed it in and there is absolutely no pressure on the srader valve/fuel line---

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
sounds like the pump shit the bed, but I'd test to ensure power's going to it just to confirm it.

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
sounds like the pump shit the bed, but I'd test to ensure power's going to it just to confirm it.

So from your past experience, is the fuel pump on the SVT's hard to replace? About how long does it take? And how hard?

I actually had another SVT last year that was a pain in the ass, but got rid of it due to major electrical issues (main harness,pcm,ect.) , but I remember taking the fuel pump out once I think and it didnt seem to bad, but I never replaced it.Just put it back in since the car didnt run..So its not that bad is it?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
So from your past experience, is the fuel pump on the SVT's hard to replace? About how long does it take? And how hard?

I actually had another SVT last year that was a pain in the ass, but got rid of it due to major electrical issues (main harness,pcm,ect.) , but I remember taking the fuel pump out once I think and it didnt seem to bad, but I never replaced it.Just put it back in since the car didnt run..So its not that bad is it?

Nah, its not bad. I had a problem though getting the ring to seal good though, but was probably due to my inexperience.

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
Nah, its not bad. I had a problem though getting the ring to seal good though, but was probably due to my inexperience.

So basically you said to put power to the fuel pump through a power supply-
I disconnected the plug on it and I put positive and negative power through it from my portable power supply..The pump turns on and runs for a few seconds and the kicks the reset on my power supply..So you say if it comes on and runs like this ,that it no good? just making sure I understand this right before ordering a $200+ pump..

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
So basically you said to put power to the fuel pump through a power supply-
I disconnected the plug on it and I put positive and negative power through it from my portable power supply..The pump turns on and runs for a few seconds and the kicks the reset on my power supply..So you say if it comes on and runs like this ,that it no good? just making sure I understand this right before ordering a $200+ pump..

hey man, I didnt have a test light, but had a 12v portable power supply..I hooked that direct into the prongs on the fuel pump.. theres 5 metal prongs on the fuel pump where the connector goes,3 on top 2 on bottom-I put the positive on the top right and negative on the top left ,turned the ignition on and the pump ran for 2-3 seconds then cut off..Doesn't this mean the fuel pump is still good if it is running with an alternative power supply? Wouldnt this mean there is something between the fuel pump and engine that is causing it not to work?? What do you think?

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
hey man, I didnt have a test light, but had a 12v portable power supply..I hooked that direct into the prongs on the fuel pump.. theres 5 metal prongs on the fuel pump where the connector goes,3 on top 2 on bottom-I put the positive on the top right and negative on the top left ,turned the ignition on and the pump ran for 2-3 seconds then cut off..Doesn't this mean the fuel pump is still good if it is running with an alternative power supply? Wouldnt this mean there is something between the fuel pump and engine that is causing it not to work?? What do you think?

Well, as of yesterday my poor SVT is at the local garage that I normally use.They told me it could be the fuel pump or it could be relays unrelated to the fuel pump or it could be something else electronically so I decided instead of buying up $100 parts for it, such as the fuel pump, I would let them run some tests on it to pinpoint the problem.Hopefully its nothing to serious because I been wanting that CF Hood and Trunk :)

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member

Well, good thing I didnt" spend the $100 bucs on the fuel pump because that's not it.
I checked in with the repair shop today and they pulled codes for it and the code for the security system came on and the shop owner said that when the security system is tripped, it shuts down the fuel pump, for "security" Now they are trying to determine why this happen/what caused it. They also said that depending on what caused it, hey may be able to fix it, but I may have to take it to Ford since only Ford can reset the Security system, so they are going to let me know..Like the security light on the dash (the red light) is suppose to stop flashing when the key is put into the ignition but it stays on..
So if you guys have any idea what may have caused this, let me know because I am still waiting to here back from the shop..Starting to wonder what the hell is going on...

brapple

Established Member
sounds like you are talking about the PATS system (passive anti theft). when tripped the system resets itself. when its tripped the light will blink rapidly and the fuel pump and starter will not work. yes when you turn the key on the light should go solid for a few seconds and turn off. the only way the system is tripped is if someone tried to start the car with a non-PATS key or a un programmed key. I have heard that if you have more then one pats key on a key chain that it could cause problem but never heard anyone with a contour report that problem.

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
sounds like you are talking about the PATS system (passive anti theft). when tripped the system resets itself. when its tripped the light will blink rapidly and the fuel pump and starter will not work. yes when you turn the key on the light should go solid for a few seconds and turn off. the only way the system is tripped is if someone tried to start the car with a non-PATS key or a un programmed key. I have heard that if you have more then one pats key on a key chain that it could cause problem but never heard anyone with a contour report that problem.

That's what the mechanic thought too , that I had a bad key, but I took my second key up there and that didn't work either..Im not exactly sure how the system was tripped because all I did was change plug wires (the car still ran), then I changed spark plugs, I tried to start the car immediately after I install the new plugs ,with the same key I have always used, and it wouldn't start..Due to the security system being tripped and shuting down the fuel..Seems very strange and I have no idea what tripped the security system, (PATS)..Like I said, all I did was change plugs and plug wires..Stil waiting to here from the shop..Makes no freakin sense....

Users who are viewing this thread