'99-'00 intercooler recall

wannarun?

Established Member
I'm trying to find out if there is in fact a recall on the intercooler for the '99-'00 model years? Anyone w/ any info would be appreciated.

2000L

Yes there was a recall on the intercoolers for 99 / 2000 Lightnings. The recall has since expired and ford will not do it at there cost now. The first intercooler had problems leaking internally into the intake. They revised and made it slighty more efficient. The old one was a 9 row and the new one is a 10 row. You will have to absorb the cost yourself if you did not have it done then or previous owner did not. appox. $800 parts only. You can either pull your supercharger and look for yourself or have an oasis report run to find out if the recall was performed. Hope this helps.

Eric 2000L

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
Just call SVT's 800 number and give them your vin. They will tell you in about 2 seconds if it was performed on your truck or not. Just called them about a week ago on my truck. Previous owner took care of it in november of 01. :beer: :rockon:

Vnomss1

Established Member
Here's some information that I gathered. I am in process of getting a refund from Ford/the Dealer for the service being performed. You can see my thread in this forum, and I will post when I have the check in hand. But, I was guaranteed 100% refund.

This is something to look into. This is what I went after the dealer for as I bought the truck second hand.
Out of warranty adjustment.

It was debated if it was an actual recall or some time of Customer Notification or Service Campaign or some variation thereof. The "recall" number is 01B81.

The part no. for the 99's is XL 32-9424-AB (should cross-reference for 2000')

The Service Bulletin no. is 10901 dated 11/30/2001

Supposedly, if you buy directly from Ford, it can cost around $800 for the parts. However, I have seen new intercoolers on EBay and nloc.net for around $200. Do not know if it is cheaper or possible to get it directly from manufacturer.

Supposedly, it takes about 3 hours for an individual to install a new one.

If you go to the search function on this site and type in "intercooler recall" and select titles only, under the lightning section, you will find a lot of info. Madenterprise.com may also be able to help.

This is a very good issue to raise. A cost effective method of correcting this issue for 99-2000 lightning assembly buyers should be determined, since the lightning swap is gaining in popularity.

Recalls
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
1. 01B81 SEP 01 Campaign - Supercharger Intercooler Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread