99/01 cobra front bumper repair ?

01poison320

Established Member
I just picked up a 99/01 cobra front bumper and realized now that the clips and plates on the sides that bolt to the fender are missing. I thought they looked funny but couldnt pin point why until I got home so now I am stuck with it I suppose. But is there any way to repair that? 2 of the 3 clips are broken off completely on each side as well so I am not sure what to do now. I'm thinking I could possibly cut the ones on my current bumper off and fiberglass them to the bumper but I am not sure. Any ideas anyone?

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
That would be the only thing I could think of, or take it by a good body/paint shop that could plastic weld the mounting tabs from your old bumper to your replacement. I had a crack about 2 inches long in the bottom of a cobra bumper I bought last year, had the shop that was painting it plastic weld the crack, looks good as new. Would at least be worth checking/calling around.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Get the clips/brackets, and to adhere them use a good flexible polymer type epoxy. Make sure the epoxy has some flex to it so you don't run into flexure problems making it crack. Also I don't reccommend 1 stage adhesives, 2 stage epoxies are much stronger.

...and whatever you do, don't be like the PO of my car, and use phillips screws.

01poison320

Established Member
Thats actually an excellent idea seconhandsnake, thanks for the input, I figured it would be a good idea to post up and get some more ideas besides mine even though its gonna be about 2 months before I start doing anything with the bumper such as repainting, but yeah, screws deffinitely never even crossed my mind as thats purely idiotic lol

also thanks soccerman, sounds like a good idea but idk if plastic welder can fix this haha

Users who are viewing this thread