99/01 Cobra vs 04-05 Gto...

fedge

Who would win between the 2 in a race? I have never came across one yet and I am all stock, but I can drive good, so could I hang with one being bone stock or would I need all the bolt-ons and keeping it n/a to win... whadya think..... thanx....... :beer:

lone sailor

Established Member
I think more variables are needed. But with what you have posted I'd say you have a good chance of taking the gto at the track.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
04 will be close, 05 if its fairly cold out, you will get spanked. the 05 has horrible torque management.

btw, these are manual cars. if you run into an auto 04, you should win. an auto 05 would still get you i think.

Nazman

Established Member
There are a few over here in Germany (owned by Service Members) and they run high 13s with the fastest one being 13.6s @ 103MPH with CB, CAI, Tune and Drag Radials.

Keep in mind that we run in a non-prep surface (black top), up-hill and @ 1250+elevation so there is a 1 or 2ths in there.

Here is the video of the one that runs 13.6s vs. an 05 GT (CAI, CB & Tune as well).

05 GT Gets Destroyed by a Bolt on GTO

The GT ran low 14s.

Naz

fedge

thanx for the help fella's... I'm at work so I can't watch the vid, but I will when I get home...thanx

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I would say an 99/01 Cobra would most likely lose to a 05 GTObut not by much at all. I have only seen a few 05 GTOs at the track and they were all running in mid-low 13s, with good drivers. the bad drivers were in the high 13s.

As for an 04 GTO i beat one pretty good at the track when my 01 was N/a. it was the only time i have ever lined up against one

NXSVTCOBRA

Nazman said:
There are a few over here in Germany (owned by Service Members) and they run high 13s with the fastest one being 13.6s @ 103MPH with CB, CAI, Tune and Drag Radials.

Keep in mind that we run in a non-prep surface (black top), up-hill and @ 1250+elevation so there is a 1 or 2ths in there.

Here is the video of the one that runs 13.6s vs. an 05 GT (CAI, CB & Tune as well).

05 GT Gets Destroyed by a Bolt on GTO

The GT ran low 14s.

Naz
find out where you PCS'ing to yet? it'd be funny if we end up in the same city (i'm moving to Benning area again)

SpittinVenom

Established Member
I beat one 04 GTO that I have raced and I have seen him take down several 05 GTO's. The 05's dont run like 400hp in my opinion.

wma8706

Established Member
Stock vs stock....ls-1 gtos run pretty close to new edge cobras with slightly higher traps in the quarter. Just look at all the comparisons between mach1 and gto. As for the ls2 or 05 gto, it's gonna take a bolt-on and geared 99/01 cobras to run with it.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Wickky said:
i raced an 05 gto and won 5 times in a row
you most likely caught a bad driver.

the car has you by like 50rwhp at least and doesn't weigh that much more.

99flblackcobra

slow cobra
Established Member
I know a guy with a 04 GTO and I think he said he is running 220rwhp. You should beat up on a 04 but I dont know about an 05. Once I get my car fixed I am going to the track with the 04 GTO and then i can tell you how much faster the cobra is.

wma8706

Established Member
"I know a guy with a 04 GTO and I think he said he is running 220rwhp" Huh.......was that car running on 7 cylinders? A healthy running 04 gto should be in the 310-320+rwhp range

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
I have raced a few 99/01s (Stock and modded) have have not been beat. If the GTO you race has a good driver then he/she will take you. Anything can happen on the street though . . .

fondani3

I ran one 04 it was an auto with a chip tune and im n/a..i beat him out of the whole the three times we went really bad by 130 he was at my back bumper but could never pass me...he gained some ground in the high mph...but from 0-120 i had at least a car on him if not a little more (our cars are good for 155 but lose a little steam up top), in the quarter mile auto or stick you should get him by 2 cars i at least i feel pretty easily if you are a good driver...Those LS1's have good top end pull but they are really heavy little pigs..as far as an 05 you will need some mods to run with them and there 400horse LS2

Last edited:

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Doc GTO said:
I have raced a few 99/01s (Stock and modded) have have not been beat. If the GTO you race has a good driver then he/she will take you. Anything can happen on the street though . . .

Nice car and nice time. :thumbsup:

Thunder5.0

Established Member
I ran a stock 05 GTO in my 99 Cobra with gears. He gave me one car length and the brake. I wound up beating him by two cars up to 120 mph. He now wants to run me heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread