99/01 Heads vs. 03/04 Heads

newossab

Established Member
I know that the 03/04 heads are superior to the 99/01, but how much of a difference in power between the two? The reason I ask is because I can find 99/01 heads all day cheap, and prices of the 03/04 are inflated it seems. Is the 03/04 head worth the extra money or would the 99/01 suffice? Thanks

00_silvergt

Established Member
I was wondering the same thing. I might be able to get some 99 c heads cheap but i know the 03/04 are better. does it make a difference on the dyno?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I got 01 heads, but they have been worked over a good bit so I wasn't worried about their performance vs the 03-04. If you can get the newer heads it is likely better unless you plan on getting them ported etc.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I depends on what your setup with be. I personally dont think its worth the extra money.. but thats just me so take it for what its worth. I think it is yes inflated, along with the 9 thread heads vs 4 threads... obviously 9 threads would be stronger, however people are running 30 lbs of boost on 4 thread heads all day with no problem. So if you arent strapping a space shuttle engine on top of your motor I wouldnt change heads just for that reason. Also, If you are going s/c... stay b head and do IMRC delete. c heads are better for naturally aspirated motors.

mustangsvt281

Established Member
i feel they are the same c head design. Only difference would be the cams if you get them fully assembled. Arent some of the c heads still 4 thread though?

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
The 03-04 have far larger exhaust ports, more threads, and different cams.

The 03 are 4 threads.. the 03/04 heads are better, there is no question, however IMO, and my opinion only just not worth the extra money. I can buy a set of 01 for say $350 bare(I did) and put a $450 competition valve job on using a serdi machine and mill .030 off the bottom for compression and have a set of heads far superior than the 03/04 for the same price that some folks are buying bone stock termi heads. Its all about your budget tho. If we all had the cash money to get the power out of our cars thats there and available, this forum would be called Lamborghini/leer jet performance.com.

Also the B Head cobra Intake cams are the best intake cams out there from a factory mustang, not including stuff like the FR500 and 00R

Also the 05 heads off the Lincoln aviator, so i have read.

Cannot speak to that, have no idea. Interesting to see if that is the case tho...

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Ive heard that the flow of the 5.4 heads doesnt really flow that well on mustangs...? Anyone to add to that? I don' know by numbers, I've just heard they don't flow that well. Like I said I have no factual data to back that up

00_silvergt

Established Member
Ive heard that the flow of the 5.4 heads doesnt really flow that well on mustangs...? Anyone to add to that? I don' know by numbers, I've just heard they don't flow that well. Like I said I have no factual data to back that up

Aviator has 4.6 dohc, the navigator has 5.4 dohc which those are the heads that are different. Intake(i think) ports are huge, and don't line up well with the intake manifold ports.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Aviator has 4.6 dohc, the navigator has 5.4 dohc which those are the heads that are different. Intake(i think) ports are huge, and don't line up well with the intake manifold ports.

DUUUH what the hell is my problem today. lol I knew that, but why did it slip out of my brain housing group..SMH :bash: I havent been able to figure anything out today

mustangsvt281

Established Member
The 03 are 4 threads.. the 03/04 heads are better, there is no question, however IMO, and my opinion only just not worth the extra money. I can buy a set of 01 for say $350 bare(I did) and put a $450 competition valve job on using a serdi machine and mill .030 off the bottom for compression and have a set of heads far superior than the 03/04 for the same price that some folks are buying bone stock termi heads. Its all about your budget tho. If we all had the cash money to get the power out of our cars thats there and available, this forum would be called Lamborghini/leer jet performance.com.

Also the B Head cobra Intake cams are the best intake cams out there from a factory mustang, not including stuff like the FR500 and 00R

Cannot speak to that, have no idea. Interesting to see if that is the case tho...
got a set of 99 heads with out cams for $200 before shipping. and got 03/04 cams for $80. id say its worth it in the long run.

*edit* i will end up getting new lifters and rocker arms(or whatever the technical term is For DOHC heads) for the heads though

Last edited:

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
got a set of 99 heads with out cams for $200 before shipping. and got 03/04 cams for $80. id say its worth it in the long run.

*edit* i will end up getting new lifters and rocker arms(or whatever the technical term is For DOHC heads) for the heads though

That's a good deal folks!... especially if it comes with new lifters.
I reused my rocker arms.

redrocket16

Established Member
So in the grand scheme of things.. Where do Mach 1 heads rate in the 99-01 and 03-04 Cobra Heads. I know it all can depend on what your build is and what you want, but if someone is looking for a C head swap what is the good, better, best ones?

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member

I am 99.9% sure the Mach heads are the same as 03/04 cobra. The difference being 04 with the 9 threads. Buuut something in my mind wants me to second guess that. I'm sure the cams are different. That link above there has more head information than you will know what to do with and the first part of the looooong post is what the different heads are compared to the others. I go to na svt with all my head questions

I personally did 01 heads, just bc I ran across those before I came across the 99's. I wouldnt have cared between the two years.... The 03/04 was just out of my budget.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread