99 Cobra suspension setup

KingCobra99

Established Member
What does everyone think about this suspension setup?

-Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs
-03 Cobra Bilstein Shocks

I want noticable performance but still maintain good driveability. Any suggestions on what a better set-up might be?

Cobra-R

Established Member
The main problem I would have with the 03 Cobra shocks is that they would be valved for the heavier front end the 03 cobra has over the 99/01 car. There are probly plenty of people with this setup that could give feedback, I would be curious of the results also.

Brian

Last edited:

moonltgold

I have the exact setup, with polyurethane spring isolators (Mac) and MM C/C plates. Put it in two weeks ago, which I figure is time enough to settle. It lowered the car 3/4 " both front and rear, that's all. The Eibachs were supposed to give an IRS Cobra (99-01) about a 1.4 inch drop. I'm not complaining, but be aware the Bilsteins are overbuilt for the lighter 99-01 Cobra and will hold it up higher despite the Eibach's drop , also the spring isolators (I'm told) are worth about 1/4" to 3/8" lift. The handling is superb and the ride is almost stock -- I estimate I maintained 90% of the comfort factor. Good luck -- its a great hi-perf street combo. (Which is all I do.) If you wanted it to be even firmer, than the next step would be the '00 R Cobra shocks/struts, but you probably won't need them.

Dierz

Established Member
Eibach's are good for GT's. Had an 01Cobra with Eibach Pro Kit & Koni adjustables. To much bounce since the Pro Kit are Progressive. Less stiffer then the stock ones. Stock is rated @ 600lbs all 4 corners. After the drop & shocks no matter how stiff i set the Koni's i'd bottom out.
Yes i had stock rims & tires.....

Steeda offers specific rates. They should be able to get u so Liner sets. They will be at its specific rate no matter what VS the progressive which u have to put weight on them before it hits its maximum.

Do ur study before u go with the Eibach. I just learned about Steeda offering such combo's.

Dierz

Established Member
Oh check out the Ford Catilog. I think they got the Liner Sets of the CobraR. I dont think that the current Eibach Pro Kit was in the CobraR.
U can always call them to varify.

Cobie03

Established Member
Go with the 03 struts and rear shocks with H&R sport or race springs. I had Eibach and Steeda before I got the H&R springs and I hated the Eibachs, the Steedas were alot better. But the H&R springs are awesome. Had this setup for over a month now and love it. No more 4x4 look and great handling. :thumbsup:

bimmerboy

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobie03
Go with the 03 struts and rear shocks with H&R sport or race springs. I had Eibach and Steeda before I got the H&R springs and I hated the Eibachs, the Steedas were alot better. But the H&R springs are awesome. Had this setup for over a month now and love it. No more 4x4 look and great handling. :thumbsup:

Cobie3... I have the H&R sports with Bilstein sport shocks. I had to use STeeda X2 balljoints to bring the front down to match the rears. The car sits at 26 1/4" at all 4 corners measuring from ground to fender opening. This is on a coupe. I have urethane isolators up front and stock rubber ones in the rear.

Can you take measurements of your ride height please. I am looking to get another 1/2" of ride height out of her. I'm sick of dragging my cats and mufflers on stuff.

Kenny Brown springs drop the front about the same but the rears not enough. I would like to be at 26 3/4" all around.

2FST4GM

Established Member
If you want a precise ride height, you might want to look into a coil-over set up. I know its more money. I had H&R Sports in the rear and loved them but it did sit a little low. Now that I have coil-overs at all 4 corners, I can set it at any height I want from corner to corner. Spring sag will never be an issue as I can infinitely adjust it. It was well worth the wait!

moonltgold

I'm 3 weeks since the Eibach Pros install and the height measures just under 27 1/4" rear and 27" even in front. That's with the 2003 Cobra Bilsteins and the polyurethane isolators front (top and bottom), and polyurethane isolator top rear (kept the stock rubber in the bottom rear because my kit wasn't for IRS and bottom of spring is different). These are my final heights, so it dropped 7/8" front and 3/4 to 13/16" rear. The 01 Cobra is a lot lighter than the 03, and the Bilsteins really hold it up. (My buddy with an 03 got 1 1/4" all around.)
Moonlt
#813/3867 @5-7-01 True Blue Coupe

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Not flaming here guys but the truth is that shocks have nothing to do with ride height, yes the stiffer valves in the shocks will make the ride stiffer in a lighter application, but the shocks only control the bounce and spring rate, they do not support the weight nor do they effect ride height. (unless they are air shocks or coilovers and even coilovers the height is adjusted by the springs) Just trying to help. The weight of the car should be more than enough to compress the shocks to the point where all the weight is on the springs. Unless you bought shocks from BIGFOOT:lol1:

Last edited:

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Originally posted by STAMPEDE3
Not flaming here guys but the truth is that shocks have nothing to do with ride height, yes the stiffer valves in the shocks will make the ride stiffer in a lighter application, but the shocks only control the bounce and spring rate, they do not support the weight nor do they effect ride height. (unless they are air shocks or coilovers and even coilovers the height is adjusted by the springs) Just trying to help. The weight of the car should be more than enough to compress the shocks to the point where all the weight is on the springs. Unless you bought shocks from BIGFOOT:lol1:

I hope Stampede is correct. I just picked up a set of Bilsteins HDs and don't want to have to worry about the car jacking up because of the shocks/struts.

"Hello MM, I have another question ....... "

:??:

Scott Kim

Established Member
if you lean in on an extra shock or strut laying around the garage, you can manually compress it, albeit slowly. shocks and struts won't affect ride height, it just controls the frequency of compression and rebound.

the springs' resistance to compression is what holds the resting level of the car, although they do have a frequency of their own.

Although, if you are using very short compression (travel) springs then pairing them with standard shocks and struts . . . . . . it COULD concievably not be resting on the springs resistance but rather on the shock/strut's internal bumpstops. but this would ride like $HIT and you would in essence be riding on rubber bushings to dampen your spring travel. but I hope we all know that when going to an aftermarket spring (usually shorter travel and higher rate) that we always give up a bit of wheel travel, thus the lower stance. . . unless you really compensate with spacers on top of your caster and camber plates (but this is another topic all together)

ideally you should find a good matching set of springs and shocks/struts, basically it's trial and error based on what is available for the street.

Generally, you won't want to pair up a set of hard coreracing (levelIII) springs with bilsteins' meant for the street, neither of the excellent suspension components could then work together to give you a good ride. when people have done this it usually ends up with handling much worse than stock.

goodluck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread