99 Cobra Track Times

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
Really wish I was better at post pics on this site. So just got to read a lot into it. LOL

A little run down of the car:

It's a 99 Electric Green Cobra E-85 self tuned
Mods are:
Stock 55k mile Mach 1 Shortblock
Stock 03 Cobra heads(mild port work that I did in the garage)
Stock 96-98 cams Degreed by myself using Cloyes cam gears
Stock runner length cut and ported intake, ported by myself
3/8 intake spacer
SLP Longtube headers 1 3/4 to a 2.5in collector
O/r x pipe
3in catback
Aluminum flywheel
Spec 2+ 26spline clutch
Spec Aluminum pressure plate (Not what you would think only 2-3lbs lighter if that)
TR-3650 that I've gone through and rebuilt/built 26spline, beefier shift forks
Aluminum driveshaft
MM Full length subframe connectors

Built IRS
4.56 gears
03 Cobra Halfshafts
Everything Bruce with FTBR offers for the IRS(Bushings, swaybar links, toe end links, 1in rear diff lowering mount)
Fore Billet cover
High Mileage 03 cobra shocks and struts
Kenny brown lowering springs
The suspension on the car is aimed more towards autocross and road course.

Car does have some weight reduction. Race weight with me in it is 3420lbs. CCW Drag pack with 26/11.5/16 M&H cheater slicks on the back.

So now to the track times:

((((Early this year in May went to beech bend for a test and tune. Temps were ok and I got about 7 passes
Car had 4.30's in it and some very seasoned M&H cheater slicks

That night the best I could get was 12.05@113 with a 1.65 60ft. That best pass was even after hot-lapping after a 12.07.

I was happy with those times even though I was spinning a lot in first and second gear.

((((Next Track outing was in Norwalk, Ohio for NMRA event in June. Temps were about the same. I swapped to 4.56 gears and new M&H cheater slicks.

I cut consistent 1.60-1.61 60fts all weekend, but still only ran a best of 12.03@112.

I was happy but really thought I'd just have an easy time getting an 11 second pass

((((Next chance I got to get to the track was at the NMRA event in Bowling Green. If anyone went to this event, they can attest to how the rain ruined the whole weekend. True Street finally got to make passes on Sunday and only two passes at that.

Only changes were an intake spacer and I went back through the WOT tune for it.

The two passes were 11.91@113 and a 11.95@112 both with 1.60 60ft.

((((Finally got to get back to the track yesterday Nov. 7th in Bowling Green. Temps were perfect with the high being 60*.
Only real change is I rented some dyno time to dialing in my spark and learn what the setup liked. I've been self tuning for maybe 5 years now and that was my first time on the dyno. It was a mustang dyno too so the numbers are nothing to blab about LOL.

Anyways back to the track outing. First pass fresh off the trailer:

60ft.......1.569
1/8........7.456
MPH.......91.13
1/4........11.759
MPH.......114.22

Next pass I got a little or a lot more aggressive on the launch and broke a halfshaft.
Either way was super happy with my car. When I got home I swapped the halfshaft and went out to play with some coyote cars.

Put bus lengths on a stock 2013 GT M6 3.73 car from a 35 roll. I understand he was probably spinning, but I'm not going to lie it didn't even look like a race. LOL

Hung at the back bumper of a 2011 GT M6 3.73 car with boss manifold, lund tune, o/r xpipe, axle back, and a bit more. He was on some 20inch wheels and shitty Invos though, from a 55 roll.

((((I hope the read didn't suck to bad. I'm going to continue with this setup and chase a guy and his track times.(Mr. Patience) Even though it wont be as impressive as what he did with a untouched 99 Cobra longblock. Though my car will ALWAYS stay an IRS car.

Don't want to forget N/a svt as I have asked him a few questions along the way

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
Yeah I've really been enjoying the car a lot. Glad you liked the read. Here's a video to go with it now

[youtube_browser]dLSw7o2nXEA[/youtube_browser]

corysmach1

Established Member
Dude that's awesome!!! That car would be a blast and would surprise a lot of people as it sounds like you did. Get it on a dyno I would really like to see what it makes!

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
Thanks guys and Mr Patience, all I can remember is when I bought my car. Mr Patience, the old Nazman, and N/a svt were in full swing on this cars in N/a form. It was cool always getting updates on what they all were doing.

corysmach1, awesome times out of your car btw.

corysmach1

Established Member
Thanks guys and Mr Patience, all I can remember is when I bought my car. Mr Patience, the old Nazman, and N/a svt were in full swing on this cars in N/a form. It was cool always getting updates on what they all were doing.

corysmach1, awesome times out of your car btw.

Thanks man! Yeah Nazman got his car flying!

C-Rod

Established Member
Nice car and great driving. How involved was the E-85 setup? Bigger injectors, tune (I hear Bama Performance does canned tunes for E85), and a nice fuel filter/water separator?

I pass a station w/ E85 everyday....... its tempting

Users who are viewing this thread