99 Cobra tuning

uedlose

Established Member
Well I bought a 99 cobra that has some mild work done but enough it wont run much on a stock tune any way I have worked around it all with the SCT Advantage 3. So I started looking at spark with the sc3 logging it the darn thing sucks lots of timing out of it when you start to tip in on the gas and when you shift the gears and I am talking as much as 20+ degrees at times. This makes the car sluggish and ill feeling down low and never really seems to rolls it back in.
The advantage 3 system tells you why it is done and I have done lots of reading as to why Ford does this and I can understand why it is also done. But it seems excessive to me, so there is a few spots that can be change setting tip in spark op. to all 0 says it will stop this well it might not it take as much but it is still pulling it way down so there is another op. that lets you set the minimum spark the ECM can run so I set it to 20 degrees and man what a difference any SCT people here know why I should not do this? Other then what the description says. Car runs fine, starts fine and all it just runs overall better when I do this. I dont have emissions so that dont matter.
I know that to much spark at idle can cause issues also but the car seems fine as of now.

leegro1015

Established Member
The spark tip in retard is used by ford as a torque control to lessen the power applied to transmission during these transitions to keep them alive.

uedlose

Established Member
The spark tip in retard is used by ford as a torque control to lessen the power applied to transmission during these transitions to keep them alive.

Yes, that is some of the reason and I don't care. I just wanted to know if that what I did will have any side effects other then maybe shortening the trans life. also if there is another way around it sucking so much timing out. Thanks

uedlose

Established Member
the Knocks are turned off. I keep looking at the spark tables and they dont look wrong to me but the SCT stuff is not real user friendly. So there must be other reasons it is pulling so much spark and even riding along and flooring the gas and it sucks lots of timing out of it. I will mess with some more.

MickeyD

Established Member
any way you could post up your data log? that would help show what is occurring. Also would want to get the spark source recorded that will tell what spark table the computer is using.

uedlose

Established Member
^^^I can try this but it will be a weekend thing. Like I said I am still a bit lost working with the SCT stuff not as easy as my old EPEC system on the other car LOL. I am spinning off the sct tune for the 99 Cobra they give with the Advantage 3 as a start. Thanks, I will work on it.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
What the hell does this mean?:shrug:

I think it is so you cannot have a huge jump in spark and power very rapidly, thus allowing the torque curve to be smoother and not destroy shit.

OP post up a log and your tune or send me an email [email protected] and I will take a look. Not saying I can get'er fixed, but a new set of eyes may see something.

Last edited:

uedlose

Established Member
Thanks Guys, I will be working on tiring to get everything logged and try to post up the tune. It will take a few like I said the SCT stuff is new to me. Then How the heck do you get it to post up will be the next thing LOL. But I will get it.

Last edited:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Thanks Guys, I will be working on tiring to get everything logged and try to post up the tune. It will take a few like I said the SCT stuff is new to me. Then How the heck do you get it to post up will be the next thing LOL. But I will get it.

Are you a member of the SCT PRP Message boards on sctforums.com/forum? There is a hidden forum for registered PRP owners.

Last edited:

uedlose

Established Member
No I am not, I have never set a account up. I got the adv.3 with the car and I have never had the account changed over to my name. something I really need to do. The last owner did sign over his rights for the kit to me and I have had SCT helped with some tech.

Last edited:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
No I am not, I have never set a account up. I got the adv.3 with the car and I have never had the account changed over to my name. something I really need to do. The last owner did sign over his rights for the kit to me and I have had SCT helped with some tech.

Yea, give sales a call and get on the forums there. Lots of great info on tuning. He gave you the USB Dongle also?

uedlose

Established Member
Yes, I got the Dongle with it I have been messing with it for a few months I have just started moving over to the spark tables when I came across this.
MickeyD Has sent me some info on logging with the SCT stuff and I have set it all up tonight I might drive the car to work and do some logs if I get up in time to get it out of the garage. If not it will be the weekend. Thanks for the Help and info guys

Users who are viewing this thread