99 Cobra vert vs 01 SS camaro vert

Factor

Established Member
I was driving around last night and I came across a 2001 Camano SS Convertible. We followed each other for about 2-3 miles and when I realized he wanted to run, I asked him to follow me to a safe place that we could push our cars. When we got there I asked him what he had done to his car he told me that it was stock (the exhaust was a little loud for stock...) with an auto gear box. So I told him my mods (sig) we both thought that it would be a pretty fair run. We went from a 30 MPH roll, by the middle of my 4th gear I was roughly 1-1.5 cars ahead of him. We pulled over after we got done running and he then told me that he had a lid, and a full exhaust. We were going to run from a dig but he had to leave so we said that we would have to save that for another night.

With just my exhaust I ran a 13.8 (back in Oct 08) I have done the rest of my mods in the past 2-3 months. He told me he ran a 13.2 with his mods. I have some LT’s and traction mods I will be putting on in the next 2-3 weeks. I will be headed to the track March 1st to see how much time I shaved off.

Factor

Established Member
BS? Sorry to tell you but it happened... What would I have to gain making up a story like this? I'm not an forum whore, i only post when something happens.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I believe you man. You guys are probably closer in power than you think. An F-body with a lid, catback with an A4 will probably make 310-320 RWHP, maybe a little more. I remember my 01 cobra making 312 RWHP with bolt-ons, this included BBK LTs, offroad shorty H-pipe, bassani catback, andersonford cold air and custom tune. Now if the SS had long tubes he would likely make another 20-30 RWHP. Good kill dude!

BayareaSS

Established Member
If that SS had full exhaust and a lid. It should be in the 12's at like 109-110. But the old saying is anything can happen on the street. So very nice kill

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member

Auto LS1's with stock gears and stock stall are fair game for a bolt on New Edge Cobra on the street.

From a roll they take FOREVER to downshift and are out of their powerband with each shift. The Cobra well driven with those 4.10 gears would have a very good shot at taking one out.

The SS is probably making less than 340 rwhp which is more than the Cobra, but factor in the gearing difference and the disadvantage of roll racing with an automatic car and this is totally beleivable.

Nice kill Factor. Be wary of those 6speed cars on the highway though.

Factor

Established Member
Thanks guys, I give nothing but respect to the LS family. I came from a AWD DSM so I have run into my share of LS1's, and since my cobra is a new platform for me and I don’t have an FPgreen turbo under the hood :) it is nowhere close to where my talon was. I went into the race thinking he had me, when I was ahead of him I was shocked. That is why I had to post the story. When I ran my 13.8 my trap speed was 103-104 with a 2.2 60 foot (I know that is an awful 60 foot) but with my upgrades since I’m hoping my trap speed will be 106-110 and with my traction upgrades I better be sub 2 second 60 foot.

Thanks again for the comments.

04A4GTO

Established Member
Good kill
The gears + your driving won it for you
From a dig it would have been closer but you still could/should have won that one too
A4's are nothing special from a rolling start
I've had people hang with me pretty good on the HWY, but from a dig I eat them alive. The LS1 would do himself a favor if he didn't run from a roll again :)

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Nice kill OP...

There is a guy on another forum I know.. just for an idea of what his car can do from a dig. Pretty nasty on such a ho-hum 60ft IMHO. :) Even he will tell you his car hates roll runs and he avoids them. haha

2002 Camaro Z28. Automatic, 2.73 gears
Airbox lid, headers, cutout
Best overall ET: 12.72 @ 108.62, 1.93 60 ft

Users who are viewing this thread