99 Cobra vs 00-02 Lightning

281cobra

Drive by poster
Established Member
Actually I think this is the second time I raced this dude. The first time was last summer, I was just coming back from the liquor store with a friend in the car. I was just pulling up to the light on Rt 73 and I notice a bk Lightning with temp tags sitting there. I roll down the window and say "hey nice truck". He tells me he just bought it (used) and just drove it off the lot a few minutes ago. :D I say "wanna give it a test run", he say "sure lets do it". I turn of the TC and wait for the light. Green light we both go, I pulled a car in first and about 2-3 cars by the top of second shifted into third then got off the gas because of traffic. He pulls up and we both give the thumbs up then go our separate ways.

Second time (if it was the same guy) was about two weeks ago on Rt 38 this time at night. I had my buddy (same guy) in the car and we were just coming back from the liquor store again (hmmm) :) . Pull up to the light and there's a bk Lightning sitting there. This time I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy plus he had a girl with him. I hit the TC and wait to see if he wants to go. Sure enough light turns green and BOOM he goes and I'm right with him. The race was more or less light the first one. I could tell that by the time I hit third gear that he had got out of it. Cool, I guess he didn't do any mods yet.
BTW, a few weeks before that, I also found out that STI's are indeed fast. :(

281cobra

Drive by poster
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra4pt6
how bad did the sti beat you?

I posted this story in another thread "Got stomped by a STI" posted by Wilson & co.

Well I kinda got stomped by a STI a few weeks ago. I was just coming back from the Philly auto show. As I was coming across the Besty Ross bridge when a STI pulled up on my rear end. Now anybody who knows this bridge knows there's no way you can race on it. It's 8 lanes wide with a speed limit of 45 mph :cuss: and the cops are notorious for pulling people over for doing 5 mph over the speed limit. Anyway we exit the bridge and I'm waiting for him to make his move. Sure enough he goes for it, I downshift to third but he had a full head of steam and starts to pass me. I go to second thinking I was in the wrong gear and proceed to redline the engine, hit third again but by this time it was to late, he was gone. I wanted to line them up and go from an even start or roll but he turned off onto Rt 130 so we didn't get a chance to line them up. Man I need some gears and a CAI. A supercharger wouldn't hurt either.

4.6 Love

Established Member
Hey 281cobra what times are you doing in the 1/8th?....I ran a wrx last year when my car was doing 8.7's-8.50's and I pulled a sti about a cars length!....did you have DR's during these races? Also I pulled a 02 stock lightning about 3-4 cars at the tracks!..I got about 2 cars lenght from the start!:D ..and that was with my lil 2v...you having a 4v should have no problem pulling L's and sti's!....on the other hand if I remember correctly the new 300 HP sti was not available last year...only the 225 HP version..if it was one of those new 300 HP ones...I would have been in trouble...now if you raced ohmy's sti..it wouldn't have mattered if you had 500 HP..you would still have gotten pulled by his sti!:rollseyes

281cobra

Drive by poster
Established Member
Originally posted by dangerousmiguel
Hey 281cobra what times are you doing in the 1/8th?....I ran a wrx last year when my car was doing 8.7's-8.50's and I pulled a sti about a cars length!....did you have DR's during these races? Also I pulled a 02 stock lightning about 3-4 cars at the tracks!..I got about 2 cars lenght from the start!:D ..and that was with my lil 2v...you having a 4v should have no problem pulling L's and sti's!....on the other hand if I remember correctly the new 300 HP sti was not available last year...only the 225 HP version..if it was one of those new 300 HP ones...I would have been in trouble...now if you raced ohmy's sti..it wouldn't have mattered if you had 500 HP..you would still have gotten pulled by his sti!:rollseyes

I've had nothing but bad luck at the track. After breaking the halfshaft not once but twice and blowing up a clutch AND an tranny (no more flat shifting), I stay away from the track. When I did get some good runs in I ran a 13.7 @ 104 with a 2.2 60 ft time (street tires). I don't remember the 1/8th time. Now in my defense I suck at launching at the track (wheelhop) but on the street I have no problem launching. I did beat a GN one time that I know runs 13.1 at the track.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread