99 Cobra vs. Mach 1

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
I was wondering how the 320 HP 99 cobra does up against a 305hp Mach 1. I know the mach has 3.55 gears and i think the 99 cobra has 3.27 gears and both have the same engine, only tuned differently. And i know the mach has a live axle.

Just wondering what both cars run in the 1/4 and how the cobra would do up against a mach.

Whats the weight on both cars?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i never do this but......

search man search, this comparison comes up every couple of weeks, and has been beaten to death

CobraG

Established Member
Udtbadkarma said:
I was wondering how the 320 HP 99 cobra does up against a 305hp Mach 1. I know the mach has 3.55 gears and i think the 99 cobra has 3.27 gears and both have the same engine, only tuned differently. And i know the mach has a live axle.

Just wondering what both cars run in the 1/4 and how the cobra would do up against a mach.

Whats the weight on both cars?

I asked this too back when I was new to this site. Here is what I was told in a summary of what I remember:
The Mach's 305 hp rating is under rated, with it's solid axle and 3.55 gears it would probably get the jump on the Cobra. The Cobra with it's stock gears would probably hang but not real the Mach in due to them being so close in hp. Now with gears the Cobra could win if it were to get a good launch. It kind of comes down to a drivers race.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I beat one stock, but it was a drivers race. ALso raced one with similiar mods(gears, intake, exhaust, ect.) and it was really close, and I edged him out. They have a big tq advantage and a solid rear. I would say it is a drivers race until it comes time for high rpm launches with good tires at the track.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
9blackcobra9 said:
the mach and cobra do not hav the same engines

while they are not identical they are VERY similar...biggest difference is the cams, and the mach heads flow slightly better...and i was thinking the mach had slightly higher compression...

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
they dont? i thought they were both the 4.6L DOHC engines with just differnt tunes or something making the hp difference. Is one aluminum or cast-iron or somethin?

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
quick01snake said:
while they are not identical they are VERY similar...biggest difference is the cams, and the mach heads flow slightly better...and i was thinking the mach had slightly higher compression...
You are right and I think the Mach has like 10:5:1 compression, not sure though.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
The Mach 1s have 10.1:1 compression to a 99/01 Cobra's 9.85:1.
The Mach 1s and the Cobras have the same exhaust cams, but different intake cams with the Cobra's being a little more aggressive.
The Mach 1s have the same heads as the 03/04 Cobras, which flow a little better than the heads for the 99/01 Cobras.

Those are the main engine differences.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The mach intake cams are the same as the navigator, marauder, aviator and the afforementioned 03/04 Cobras.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If you're a drag racer I'd pick the Mach 1, if you like the corners pick the 99/01.

The Mach 1 with it's stick axle and 3.55's plus better torque production will help it more in a straight line compared to the 99/01 Cobra.

txrunsvt

I run fast.
Established Member
Ive raced my cousin in his 04 mach one. He took me off the line but once i got higher in the RPM i started to pull on him. Shifted into second and pulled by him. He had a flowmaster catback and i had magnapacks welded in.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Torch10th said:
If you're a drag racer I'd pick the Mach 1, if you like the corners pick the 99/01.

The Mach 1 with it's stick axle and 3.55's plus better torque production will help it more in a straight line compared to the 99/01 Cobra.
I'd say a solid axle swap is easier than an intake cam swap, for the average joe

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
So true....the Mach is a drivers race only for the terminator...lol

99/01 cobras are weak in comparison, ask any Mach owner

I'll take my 01 Cobra over any Mach. I almost traded my 01 in on a 03 Zinc Yellow Mach....but after the test drive i was more than happy to keep my 01

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
no love for the Mach's in the New Edge forum?

I like the car quite a bit. Really despite what the new edgers say or the mach owners say, it's going to be a drivers race. From a dig the Mach with it's lower gearing and better low-end torque production will have a bit of advantage. From a roll the New Edge is going to have the advantage.

I must say though, there was a thread in the roadkill section where I observed a Mach1 owner saying the 99/01 Cobras were weak. I had a nice laugh from that one.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Dingleweed said:
The Mach 1s have 10.1:1 compression to a 99/01 Cobra's 9.85:1.
The Mach 1s and the Cobras have the same exhaust cams, but different intake cams with the Cobra's being a little more aggressive.
The Mach 1s have the same heads as the 03/04 Cobras, which flow a little better than the heads for the 99/01 Cobras.

Those are the main engine differences.

Thank you for posting that. Those are the differences in engines. Stock for Stock Mach>Cobra

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I have a friend with an orange 04 Mach. We raced from a 10mph roll and he only beat me by 1/2 car to 80mph. He pulled that in 2nd and then it was even. My car only had a catback and CAI. His had both of those and a Bassani X-pipe, plus the 3.55 stock gear advantage over my 3.27's. However from a dig at the track, he was launching better and runnin 13.4-13.5's and the best I ran was a 13.99. I have 10.5" rims/tires too and he only had stockers. Come to find out my limited slip diff is shot and only my passenger tire was spinning. Explains my poor 60' times...best of 2.30. I am getting ready to have it rebuilt and 3.73's in and figured I could take him. However he had 4.10's put in this weekend. He's always one step ahead of me!!!

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
I got a friend with an 03 mach with the same bolt ons as me plus 4.10's and a PHP intake spacer. We have run several times from a roll and evey time his gears make the difference. He pulls about 1/2 car right away and stays that way. I think if I had gears the results would be the exact opposite. He runs consistant 12.7's on drags. The car is bad ass and under rated. I love the mach 1's but ill keep my snake.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread