99 Electric Green Vert, eaton swap, rod knock

rockthemullet

Established Member
The chassis has 146k

1999 Electric Green Cobra convertible, black top/interior (1 of 86 produced)
Body is in pretty good condition, there is some pinstriping on the trunk that was clearcoated over so that should be addressed.

A little info on the swap:
-Steigi stage 4 ported blower with matching elbow
-stock 03/04 injectors
-c&l upgraded mass air with intake and filter
-billetflow 2.93 upper and 3.65 upper pulleys (only ran on 3.65 with this motor)
-fluidine intercooler
-canton sc fluid tank
-03/04 dual pump setup in the 99 tank
-wrinkle black front cover and valve covers

Also on the car:
BRAND NEW Ram Powergrip clutch (98951) - 0 miles
Flowmaster catback, stock manifolds and X
01+ black housing headlights

I think that's about it... pretty straightforward car. I picked it up from a friend and it needed a clutch. Installed the clutch, started it up, and now it has a rod knock (or what I've assessed as a rod knock). I know I'll be taking a big hit, but I just don't have the patience right now.

Stock good condition is $9500... I know you can buy an eaton swapped car for ~12-13k.

$9000. Throw a built short in for 2500 and you're WAY ahead of the game.

It's dark and the car is dirty from sitting. I'll try to give it a wash and take a few pics in the next couple days.

2013-01-31_23-57-34_59_zps60c92d0b.gif

IMG_20130323_020309_440_zps4266416a.gif

Last edited:

rockthemullet

Established Member
I've had a couple people over to check out the car and my buddy is convinced it's not rod knock, likely something making a slight interference contact during rotation. The more I listen to it, the more I agree with him. It's a very consistent noise, like something is tapping the flywheel (occurs whether or not the clutch is pushed in). Since it didn't knock before the clutch job, it's likely I may have overreacted. I'll be investigating soon.

Users who are viewing this thread