99 Engine Rebuild

Wraith

Established Member
I am rebuilding my engine after it seized on me last fall. It currently has BBK full length headers w/ matching X-pipe, 80mm C&L MAF, 73mm Single-blade t-body, underdrive pulley and 4.10 gears out back.
I plan on adding forged rods and pistons, full porting w/ 4-angle valve job, regrinding the cams, and a couple possible upgrades. With all of these upgrades, is my stock ignition going to be enough? I have been looking around and have seen an MSD DIS-4 for 96-98 Cobras, but nothing for 99. Also, will upgrading to 30lb. injectors help out or be too much/too little? I am fairly new to the 4.6L world and am not totally sure of products.
I think I am going to have Comp Cams regrind by bump-sticks. Anybody ever have a problem with them?
To top everything off I plan on having JDM burn my computer chip, since they ARE the BEST! Thanks Everybody.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
couple things. JDM is not nearly the best. they are good for lightnings but not cobras. SCT is what you want if you want the best.

your stock ignition will be more then fine. if you wanted to upgrade, the only choices would be (2) dis 4's and 4 tach adapters.(like 1000 bux), if you wanted only an increase in spark, it would be a boost a spark for 200.

your ignition is fine though. You should not need 30lb injectors. 24s should be good up until 340rwhp. I have not heard of 4v Comp cams but you could probably have them do a custom grind. Depending on how wild you go, you might need new valvesprings.

Also, custom regrinds tend to reduce the base circle, meaning you might have to run lash caps or shims. I have HP blower regrinds and i use shims. With billet new cams, you don't need this.

good luck.

cobraracer46

Banned
Instead of getting reground cams, why not go with the Ford FR500 cam kit that includes NEW cams, valves, valve seals, springs, retainers, roller followers??:rolling:

Wraith

Established Member
I've read a little bit about the FR500 parts, how do the cams compare to other vendors? What could I expect out of them? How expensive? What kind of characteristics?

Wraith

Established Member
Where can I get the cam kit? I have looked and only found reviews so far. Maybe I am just not searching right but I couldn't even find them through FRPP web site.

Users who are viewing this thread