99 Mustang Injector help

ARavenousChimp

Just a GT
Established Member
Helping a friend build his Mustang, well. More like I'm doing all the decisions and work and he pays the parts. Anyhow. The rundown of the car and collected parts are as follows.

5.4L shortblock out of a 02' F-150 (non-lightning). Had a forged crank, we added forged rods + 11cc pistons. For cylinder heads we have some ported PI heads, with CMS Stage 3 N/A cams, and matching springs. Intake manifold is an Edelbrock with MMR spacers, a 6160 elbow and a 90mm TB. Then we have Pypes longtubes, a Kooks (modified) catted X into a magnaflow catback.

I'm about to put the engine back together and stuff it in the car, but as you may have noticed. I have no fuel system listed. What should I upgrade? Does it need a bigger MAF or Fuel pump? I know it needs injectors as the stock 19# ones won't work at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Some one might have a better suggestion but the stock Lightning/Cobra MAF & Injectors(42#) would probably be a good fit. IIRC 99-01 didn't have the integrated AIT sensor in the MAF the 02+ had so the MAF should be PnP and the injectors should be the right connector (EV1). Not sure where the GT pegs probably 350-375, don't know what you'll make but the 90mm housing of the Lightning is nice if you have a 90mm TB. Those injectors and MAF should be go to mid/high 400s and probably find a good deal used around here.

Not sure about pumps I think guys are getting close to 400hp with a BAP. If not go Cobra pumps or something aftermarket, pretty sure they plug in to the stock harness (not 100% on earlier GTs), just have to remove the plastic basket from the tank.

Really not sure where you'll be HP wise (assuming N/A from cams, mid/high 300?) but that's my $0.02. I like utilizing Ford stuff when I can, plus you can get a steal picking up stock parts from SVT guys upgrading.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread