99 Stock Radio upgrade

Black1999Cobra

Rollin' with the top down
Established Member
Is there any simple/fairly easy way I can upgrade my stock 99 Mach 460 sound system to the 01 (or up) system with the 1.5/2 DIN single head unit or the 1.5/2 DIN 6-cd changer head unit?

Can I just get the new center console piece and buy the new head unit? Or do other things change (A/C heat controls, etc).

Im not worried about wiring...I can figure that out/buy a harness.

I am looking to buy the center console stuff out of an 01 and install it in the 99 so I have the single 1.5 or 2 DIN single opening for the newer factory head units.

I have been searching...but no straight forward info besides cutting up stuff. Dont really want to do that.

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
I'll say it will be a PITA if you go the route of an 01 conversion, but Alpine offers the best aftermarket option...keep factory amps and subs working it has the option of either XM/Sirius Sat radio, and plays MP3's or connect your IPod to it...also fits 99 factory hole and gives you a stash where the CD player now sits...

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
themadgmkillr said:
I'll say it will be a PITA if you go the route of an 01 conversion, but Alpine offers the best aftermarket option...keep factory amps and subs working it has the option of either XM/Sirius Sat radio, and plays MP3's or connect your IPod to it...also fits 99 factory hole and gives you a stash where the CD player now sits...

Its not a PIA. I know guys with SN95's that have converted. Its basically the same thing just with a bigger hole. You have to move a support behind it but its easy.

Basically either stick with ford or pull the entire thing out and do all of it aftermarket since its not really interchangable.

Black1999Cobra

Rollin' with the top down
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Basically either stick with ford or pull the entire thing out and do all of it aftermarket since its not really interchangable.

This is my thinking. I was going to stick with the ford stuff and just get a newer head unit. (The cd player is starting to go out..and the cd players from the factory in the 99's tend to not last.

With the newer headunit, I have also found a ford headunit that plays mp3's (on a cd) that will fit in the same hole as the 01 headunit's.

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
I used to have an RCA harness adapter along with the standard harness adaptor. Hooked it all up, sounded great, plus my eXcellon had 3 sets of pre outs so I had a sub too. I am looking for an Alpine right now...I think...

Users who are viewing this thread