99 Tail light conversion

WhiteSnake99

Established Member
Has anybody converted the 99 taillights to the solid red taillights? Ive done some research but, havent found anybody that has actually completed the project. Thanks.

OW99

Established Member
It's pretty easy if you're using the same harness. Just cut a hole in the same place the amber would have been.

shurur

Established Member
1. file down the plastic nub at the corner turn signal light area.
2. drill a small pilot hole
3. cut a 1" hole with a hole saw (check your turn signal socket diameter)
4. with a marker, outlne the socket hole notches using the original light and socket as a guide
4. use a set of jeweller's files to make the notches for the sockets...test fitting with the socket as you go.

You may need an extra rubber washer on the socket or a film of silicon to snug up the socket.

I had to do this because oem ambers were missing when I got the car...originally the turn signal socket was wedged into the center brake light..

Last edited:

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
1. file down the plastic nub at the corner turn signal light area.
2. drill a small pilot hole
3. cut a 1" hole with a hole saw (check your turn signal socket diameter)
4. with a marker, outlne the socket hole notches using the original light and socket as a guide
4. use a set of jeweller's files to make the notches for the sockets...test fitting with the socket as you go.

You may need an extra rubber washer on the socket or a film of silicon to snug up the socket.

I had to do this because oem ambers were missing when I got the car...originally the turn signal socket was wedged into the center brake light..

Thats pretty much what I found a lot of people doing.

OP, I was planning to do this conversion on my cousins 01 but if your considering swapping, would you accept a trade of the solid red lights i have, that are brand new, plus cash for your stockers? Both his taillights are damaged and finding a set is next to impossible

WhiteSnake99

Established Member
Thats pretty much what I found a lot of people doing.

OP, I was planning to do this conversion on my cousins 01 but if your considering swapping, would you accept a trade of the solid red lights i have, that are brand new, plus cash for your stockers? Both his taillights are damaged and finding a set is next to impossible

I will let you know, its going to be about 3 months since I'm still deployed.

shurur

Established Member
Part of the job lol. Its killing me looking at all the things I can want to do to her but, waiting til I get back.

I feel you, 7 months left haha. Nice little chunk of change to play with at the end though...

You deserve more than that.
I've got a tenant going back to Afghanistan ~next month for his nth tour..

Thank you BOTH for your service.

USN Submarines 1978-1984

Last edited:

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
If your tails are in good shape I would not change to the all red.......that is a special detail that is rare and sets the 99-01s apart.......I did add LED bulbs and a sequential wiring harness that turned out perfect......

Got2BeGT

vroom vroom
Established Member
Im with the OP. I just bought the car, and I really want some sequential taillights. Figured it would be easier to swap to all red tails and buy a plug-n-play light kit, but I have a feeling the blinking wont work because of the separate amber bulb. Doesn't make much sense to have a bulb in the lower corner of a red taillight because I doubt it'd be that visible during the day. Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place on this lol

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
check out the vid that shows both configurations of the sequentials......sorry its so blurry but just shot a quick vid with my phone and only the upclose stuff at the beginning and end are in decent focus.....but this will give you a good idea of what is possible while still retaining the amber corners......I get tons of people chasing me down to ask about them...lots of compliments....def not cheap, but worth it in my book, once I priced getting new 99-01 tails...this was actually a better deal and ended up with a really custom look....far as I know its the only one on earth so far with this setup.....

you may have to cut & paste the string below.....

2001 cobra sequential tail lights best video - YouTube

Got2BeGT

vroom vroom
Established Member
haha I actually watched that youtube video last night. The amber bulb still coming on first and staying on seems strang to me in the video. Maybe its because I know its there and Im looking right at it. Thats why I figured, the $300 for 99/01 cobra sequentials, should be enough to swap to the reds with sequentials. I just dont know if the wiring is exactly the same for it to be a DIRECT plug and play

WhiteSnake99

Established Member
Yeah, I have noticed that everyone wants them. I guess they arent that bad, just not something I am use to seeing. He does have a point, it is a unique feature.

Users who are viewing this thread