99 vortech gt vs Neon Srt4

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Well i was coming back from hitting some golf balls with a buddy of mine and and as were getting back onto the highway i see a red neon behind me with a Huge front mount so i tell my Buddy... "Hold on cause i am about to put this neon in its place" Before i can even down shift into 3rd the guy is right on my ass... Now i am in 3rd i drop the hammer the boost starts building and my cars starts screaming and as i think i am pulling hard away from this red neon it stays about a car length and a half behind me... after i maxed out 3rd i shut it down and the neon flew bye me and as i see him go bye all i can see is a butt load of gauges in the car and it sounded pretty sick... to say the least i was very surprised that this neon stayed up with me so close this is making me get a built motor in the summer and crank up the vortech :beer:

Has anyone else ran into a modded srt 4 before cause i am not gonna lie i felt a little ashamed when my supercharged v8 didnt pull away from 4 cyl turbo... never the less the thing was fast

Last edited:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I've ran into one before and it didn't go so well for him. In my defense, he started it.. Some of those neons really crank and can move, they definitely surprise you. Most of the time the driver thinks the car is faster then what it really is. But every once in a while you'll come across a legitimately fast one that looks bone stock.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Good run. Just had a buddy run 6.5@111 in the 11/8th mile in his srt neon. It was his first pass of the trailor this season with his new set up. The car has 6.2 in it pretty easy i do believe. You have to be careful with some of them haha

goats

Fast whitey
Established Member
Your luckey you got him,and if he was on e85 you wouldn't have a chance.
< previous srt4 owner

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Found out from someone that knows him and said that it had a upgraded turbo, full bolt ons and they said they werent sure what else... i would like another whack at him though lol

btmach1

Whippled Sonic Blue
Established Member
My uncle has one with the stage 3 upgrade and a whole lot of other stuff. It's a scary fast car. First time he put drag radials on it at the track it busted a motor mount. I think it makes near or more than 500 horse

2K1 SVT

Established Member
^ a stg3 making 500whp ? that sounds like an inflated number.

Yes lol 500whp is not even close. Stage 3 with turbo toys is around 350whp and without toys is 300whp. You would need an upgraded turbo to hit 500whp and the internals would be on barrowed time at that power level.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
Yes lol 500whp is not even close. Stage 3 with turbo toys is around 350whp and without toys is 300whp. You would need an upgraded turbo to hit 500whp and the internals would be on barrowed time at that power level.

figured, sounds like a hyped up car/whp number lol.
SRT4s are nice, they make more tq than hp ... but they power band is pretty short for a 4 cylinder. They rev to like 5800rpms ...

btmach1

Whippled Sonic Blue
Established Member
It's more than just a stage 3..... I'm not sure on a parts list. Nor do I really give two shits about a neon. My dad and other uncle give him crap for putting so much money into a neon all the time. But it is a crazy fast car with way more money in it than a neon should have, also not 500 to the wheels, that would be insane and I hit the 5 instead of the 4 that I meant to type while responding to this thread on my phone(should be 400!), that's my bad for not checking before posting ... That is all

Last edited:

2K1 SVT

Established Member
It's more than just a stage 3..... I'm not sure on a parts list. Nor do I really give two shits about a neon. My dad and other uncle give him crap for putting so much money into a neon all the time. But it is a crazy fast car with way more money in it than a neon should have, also not 500 to the wheels, that would be insane and I hit the 5 instead of the 4 that I meant to type while responding to this thread on my phone(should be 400!), that's my bad for not checking before posting ... That is all

400whp is believable on the stock lower end, he probably has a 50 trim or some other turbo of a similar size.

btmach1

Whippled Sonic Blue
Established Member
I didnt even realize my phone changed it until I came back in here and was like oh shit.... I'll have to ask him what all he's done but I don't like asking cause he won't stop talking about it once he's going haha

19935.slow

Established Member
If it did have an upgraded turbo, it is more than likely a stage 3 kit from mopar. Any basic .50 trim srt should run your set up down if your mph is current.

2K1 SVT

Established Member
If it did have an upgraded turbo, it is more than likely a stage 3 kit from mopar. Any basic .50 trim srt should run your set up down if your mph is current.

+1, srt4's weigh in at around 2900-3000 pounds and are torque monsters, I'd bet that it was probably a stage 3 with turbo toys so around 350whp.

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
That makes me feel better at least that it had some work done to it... it was pretty neck and neck hopefully i ll run into him again... up next i am gonna toy with my buddies 05 Evo thats pretty worked.... he will most likley walk on me but i guess we shall see... it makes a little over 400 to the wheels

Shin

Established Member
figured, sounds like a hyped up car/whp number lol.
SRT4s are nice, they make more tq than hp ... but they power band is pretty short for a 4 cylinder. They rev to like 5800rpms ...

They rev like a V8 and make torque like a V8...

Mine rev'd to 6500 on stock internals, some how the bastard is still alive! lol

I8URLS1

Established Member
My buddies shop has been tuning a ton of SRT4's lately and putting out some very fast cars. They had one recently that put down 560whp on their Mustang dyno. Their dyno seems to read about 15-16% lower than all the local dyno jets so that 560 is a stout #. Quite a few guys making 300+ on their dyno with stock turbo and e85. They are not to be taken lightly. The one that made 560 prior to that had a smaller turbo and went an 11.3 @ 132

D.T.R

Established Member
They rev like a V8 and make torque like a V8...

Mine rev'd to 6500 on stock internals, some how the bastard is still alive! lol

that still seems pretty low for a 4 cyl.
I have raced higher HP SRT4s ... that are gutted... and with me having a passenger... and still beat them due to a wider power band (rev to 9500) and longer gears.

if we make the same HP... i will walk the shit out of them... even though the make a shit load more tq than me. (proof that tq doesn't win races lmao)

2K1 SVT

Established Member
that still seems pretty low for a 4 cyl.
I have raced higher HP SRT4s ... that are gutted... and with me having a passenger... and still beat them due to a wider power band (rev to 9500) and longer gears.

if we make the same HP... i will walk the shit out of them... even though the make a shit load more tq than me. (proof that tq doesn't win races lmao)

If you make the same hp as an SRT4 it is going to walk the shit out of you. Think about it 2900>3600+, a better powerband is not going to make up for 600-700 pounds when both cars have the same hp and he has more tq than you.

clc44

Established Member
I raced a buddy of mine with a stage 3 on 22-24 lbs and its almost a dead even race. He makes just over 300 whp/345 wtq. They can surprise ya.

Users who are viewing this thread