99 vs 01 Cobra Calibrations........problems

junehhan

Established Member
Quick questions guys. We all know that a very good number of the 01's are having detonation issues, and there isn't much about 99's having detonations issues. Supposedly, it's the exact same engine, therefor my concern is, what's causing the 01's to detonate? We know that 01's are TLEV's, and 99's I believe don't meet any type of low emission stuff. Does anyone know whether it might be possible to change to a set of calibrations for the 99 Cobra's on our 01's? What has changed along the line to causing some of our 01's to detonate? I was just curious since me and my friends went out and we crammed 3 guys in my car, 2 in the back(yes it's possible!) and everytime I floored it to pass someone, I ended up embaressing myself because I was greeted to loads of detonation. Also other problems my car is having:
it's currently leaking coolant from a cracked coolant resevoir bottle thingy
it's had 4 water leaks
misaligned passenger side door which is now fixed
misaligned trunk which is still not aligned right after 2 attempts to fix it, and still looks warped
2 transmission rebuilds to try to fix lots of transmission grinding in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts which still has not been resolved(Ford now says it's normal)
engine blows blue smoke occasionaly on cold starts(Ford said it's normal)
engine makes a knocking noise during startup(Ford says it's normal)
trunk would shut when it's cold outside
after an attempt to adjust the cold idle program, the engine still misses every 7-10 seconds while idling after a cold start

Any guys have any suggestions that might help my dealer to fix some of these problems? I've lost my patience and i'm about the lemon law this piece of junk.

:cuss:

kwiksnake

Established Member
I actually think the 99's don't have the exact compression ratio they are supposed to have and that may be causing the hp shortage. The 2001's were supposed to be almost blueprinted, and that maybe be why the are detonating with the same computer program as the 99's. Just my opinion though.

MG01

Established Member
Hello junehhan,

I have an 01 that pings too. It is terrible going up hills under semi-aggressive throttle. I have tromped on it in 3rd gear doing about 40-50 miles an hr and it is brutal ---marbles in a tin can sound. I had the SSM15571 computer re-flash which has not worked. It is in the shop today.

I am concerned the dealership is not going to do a thorough enough diagnostic effort to deal with this issue. They have asked me so many times if I am putting 92 or higher octane in that I am ready to kick someone.

I have only a little bit of warranty left. If this issue is not dealt with and comes back to bite me after the warranty is up I will be pissed.

I have seen an incredible number of threads on this issue for 01s. We should all combine our efforts so we can carry and big stick and slap Ford with it.

I will report back on the results of my current service. Crossing my fingers!!

Users who are viewing this thread